My first attempt at water and oil

Name
Michael
Edit My Images
No
Gave this a try last night with a reversing ring on my 50mm 1.8,Ended up with a sore back and knee's and it was mega difficult to focus.

dsc2186v.jpg

dsc2158.jpg

Then I noticed the tiny partial hair's and dust that were floating in the bowl after I'd finished, Overall I was pleased as it was my first attempt at this and I'll definitely be trying it again.

Feel welcome to comment and criticise guys, All help is needed.

Michael

Really like the colours in the first one. Did you use cooking oil? If so, how much did you add to the water? May try this at the weekend.

Yeah I used cooking oil after using motor oil but that left a nasty brown colour. I used about 15mm water and table spoon of cooking oil then a quick stir in a caserole dish.

I found it really hard to manually focus as I done it on the floor so i'd recommend doing it on a table of some sort.

Michael

Great colours. There seem to be a lot of these going on at the moment (maybe the cold winter months :)).

Apparently fully synthetic engine oil is supposed to be good. I saw some nice shots over on AVF.

Thanks folks I'll try this again at somepoint again,the colours are fantastic although although I need to invest it some kind of smaller tripod.

Michael

Like no 1, I must try this.

Any tips

Don't try it on the floor lol i busted my back and knees! Apart from that, I found angling the light source slightly each shot produced a whole load of great colours,also try use a new cd as scratches tend to show up.

A dust free environment is a must as anything and everything gets stuck in the oil.

Michael

Last edited:
Back