My first attempts at HDR

Name
John
Edit My Images
No
Went to Hunstanton the other day and waded out dangerously to a shipwreck, just managing to make it back to safety in the nick of time! Was in a bit of a rush while taking the shots, as I didn't want to get cut off, but i'm quite pleased. Here are a few of the shots.

As usual the images, especially the last, look different on my laptop screen than my desktop (both LCD screens), despite being calibrated with the same device. The last one appears lighter on my laptop, which is where I did all the transferring, editing etc.

shipwreck1wipsmall.jpg

shipwreck2wipsmall.jpg

shipwreck3wipsmall.jpg

I can't be anything but frank...they're not great. You've pushed them far too much...were you trying to salvage an underexposed shot? Unless the shot was correctly exposed in the first place, it's pretty hard to get something pleasant with HDR from one shot. If it was from a number of exposures I'm not sure where you went wrong. With this kind of shot you're probably better off taking a number of exposures and simply blending them, or use filters.

Hmm, well no they were always intended as HDRs. I took 3 shots and merged them, and used a ND grad filter while taking them. The last thing I wanted to do was push them to far... They don't seem out of focus to me on this end... Thanks for the feedback though.

Last edited:
Back