My first band shots

Name
Aidan
Edit My Images
Yes
Here are some of the pics from my first band shoot. These lads are just starting out & i know the guitarists teacher & he asked me to do some work for them.

Now unfortunately i'm not by my computer at the moment so i can't provide the full images but i do have them on my facebook account (these images are shared & open to the public to view).

The requirement of the band was that the images were in black & white, a couple of the images i used a b&w filter on the camera & some of the others (the less grainy ones) were converted from colour to black & white within iPhoto.

Shot with:-

Canon 60d
Canon 24-70mm f2.8l (borrowed)

https://picasaweb.google.com/105758602072051502937/OneNationUnderGodPromo?authuser=0&feat=directlink

IMG_2187 by aidanreid257, on Flickr

IMG_2203 by aidanreid257, on Flickr

IMG_2215 by aidanreid257, on Flickr

IMG_2225 by aidanreid257, on Flickr

IMG_2282 by aidanreid257, on Flickr

Last edited:
I'm sorry but I've got to say they are all far to grainy and constrasty for my taste :( A lot of blown whites and the grain is quite large. Did you add the grain? As it looks to big to be noise?

I think there were one or 2 that were "enhanced" by the 60d's creative effects. I've just uploaded these images to Flickr so i'll have a look & point out which ones. Some are just standard black & white though.

i agree the processing is a bit too harsh, but i like several of the compositions and they certainly wouldn't be out of place on the cover of an album.

i particularly like this one:

IMG_2215.JPG

i think if you revisited the processing and perhaps gave them a cross-processed look, they'd look much better and dare i say it, 'urban' which i guess is the look you're going for?

Last edited:
so from what your saying the ideas are right, but i may have gone about it the wrong way. The only software i really have at the moment is iPhoto. I tried to use gimp but i don't think its really that intuitive on OSX 10.7.
I still have the original images (full colour). Maybe they can be salvaged.

here is one of the original un-doctored images...

Untitled by aidanreid257, on Flickr

currently trying to upload the rest to flickr but for some odd reason they are appearing corrupted going between iPhoto & Flickr.

Apart from the concerns regarding processing, I think you need to sort the backgrounds, in the first, you have that diagonal line of roof that distracts, in 3 guy third from our left, it looks as though a bush may fall on his head, and the 5th, third from our left has a pole growing out of his head.

One thing we can agree on, actually shooting the images in full colour probably was a saving grace, leaving the locations down to the young client bad move on my part. Ideally what was required was a plain white background but as i don't have any kind of transport & lack of funds as i'm just starting out i wasn't able to get backing.

But seriously these comments are fantastic & what is needed for me to get better which is EXACTLY what i want. So i really appreciate this. :)

Back