My First Beauty Shoot **EDIT**

Name
Brittany
Edit My Images
No
My first go at Beauty Lighting!

I decided to try out a little lighter editing, although I don't know if I should have with the beauty shoot where it's all about the face and skin. I wanted to preserve the texture of the skin though, and see if it made a difference with the sharpness of the shot because a lot of my pictures seem to turn out "soft"... Hmmm.

Model: Amanda B
MUA/Styling/Photography:Me

SweetDreamswm.jpg

I've had that green and gold eyeshadow since Christmas and I've been waiting for the oportunity to use it!

EDIT:
Alright, I realize that the pose is not enhanced by this at all, but I could only crop it tighter... The light coming from behind is what I was originally trying to go for, but didn't really work out as you can tell from the first edit. Anyways...

SweetDreamsEditwm.jpg

First of all, the make up is amazing (y)

Cutting off her head is distracting, as is her hand, it looks quite forced and uncomfortable :(

Nice idea though, I would be pleased with that :)

I agree with Betty about her hand, it looks for uncomfortable but i like the crop, possibly could do with a little bit less crop just up to her hairline.
The makeup is lovely, i would like to see more of these.

The cropping if the head is not so much of an issue for me, i do it a lot in my images. With fashion and beauty photography the emphasis is on the clothes and the make-up rather than the model themselves, which you have captured well in this shot. I do agree with the hand however, with this crop it almost looks like it could be someone else's hand coming up into the frame. I would also like to see a bit more 'pop' in the colour to really make the make-up stand out, but this may have been lost in the compression of the file.

From the makeup perspective: the makeup is nice, but am not too sure about blush, as most of the shoots I have been on, done, or seen don't really do that. The hair is a little bit of a problem for me, but then I like tidy hair. Also notice that the skin tones on the shoulders and the face is not consistant.

From photography standpoint: Beauty is all about light. Usually your background should be nice and clean. It is not here, and I find that a little distracting. You main light needs to be a little harder here. Hard light will help with your skin tones, and make editing a little easier later. Also your lighting is a bit flat here. Where is the kicker? Are you using any? Are you going for a style without kickers? I think a kicker on the left side (of the photo) would really lift the model off the background. I would move the hand further under her chin, and get a little more light on the lips. Apsolutely nothing wrong with the composition, just need to straight the photo a little bit (leans a little to the left).

I am not a stylist, so won't comment on that.

I also think that the make up is brilliant, and i like the close crop, can't work out if i like the hand or not?!

Very striking though, overall its an excellent shot, well done

OOOh I sooo love those lashes!
I agree with Franchise, great eye make up in gorgeous colours but the blush lets the look down a little, it needs feathering out a little more, as is, its a bit 80's.
I love the pose, in the nail industry its one Ive seen used a few times, however the hand appears disproportionately big to the face.
This is a problem I have encountered in some of my shots too... especially when Ive tried to get in too close using my 50mm.
All imo of course ... look forward to the edits :)

Back