My first BIF and first red kite

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No

IMG_1574-5 by yelnek, on Flickr

I'd love some feedback to see where I need to improve - I'm a total beginner and this is my first BIF photo taken at Harewood House, Leeds during a dog show we were at.
Taken hand held on a Canon 60D, 70-300 F4-5.6 lens at 220mm F8.0.

thanks, Mark

Last edited:
Just keep doing what your doing ,its a very nice shot .
Rob.

That's a great first try, nice and sharp.
First off I'm very much a beginner myself and still learning so this is just my opinion.
I would crop a little off the right side or add a little to the left to bring the bird in a little.
Although sharp there seems to be quite a bit of noise on the bird, it looks like the camera has exposed for the sky and you have had to lighten the bird bringing out the noise. I always try (not always successfully) to expose for the subject.

Thanks for your replies. Hopefully I can improve with practice.

Your right I think I did unfortunately expose for the sky but it all happens so quick. I did have to lighten the shot to bring the bird out better. I've found when I exposed for the bird then the sky is totally blown out.

Photographing a darkish bird against white clouds is always going to be a problem, hopefully one of the more experienced members could recommend a solution but I'm guessing you have to make a choice of bird vs blown background.
It's still a very nice shot though

Back