My First Dragonflies

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
Yes
I didn't think I would get a chance to image dragonflies, It was great to find some whilst on holiday in Wales, I don't know for certain what type these are, could anyone please confirm ID for me. Thanks.

1#

Golden Ringed Dragonfly by PeteGreg Photography, on Flickr

2# Crop of No1

Golden Ringed Dragonfly by PeteGreg Photography, on Flickr

3#

Dragonfly by PeteGreg Photography, on Flickr

4#

Dragonfly by PeteGreg Photography, on Flickr

5#

Red Dragonfly by PeteGreg Photography, on Flickr

Thanks for viewing.

No5 is a large red Damoselfly, nice shots . yours gwh

Nice set , I tried to get some near a local river but couldn't get the things to stay still long enough all I ended up with was a blurred line across the lens , will try again ,why not head a little further out To Shrewsbury and have a wander down by the river Seven

Thanks Graham for the ID, Just need the other confirmed as a Golden Ringed Dragonfly,
Also anyone know of any good places where I can find Dragonflies around Telford/Wolverhampton, love to get more shots of these beautiful creatures. :)

Peter - yes it is a Golden-ringed Dragonfly. Look for any ponds, lakes or rivers. You could try Fenn's, Whixall and Bettisfield Mosses NNR in Shropshire which has the very rare White-faced Darter. The River Severn south of Telford has the rare Common Club-tail. Good hunting.

Thanks for the kind remarks, and for the locations where I may find more to image, if it's of interest to anyone, I was nr Telford town centre today, on the way back (without my camera :( ) I decided to call in at Priorslee Lake, I did see some larger dragonfly, possibly patients required to photograph. However there are a lot of tiny blue ones, that I will be returning to photograph soon. I was quite amazed at how many of these there were.

Lovely shots of the golden-ringed (by far my favourite dragonfly).

White-faced darters still around at Whixall Moss (as of last weekend), but you may have to hunt for them as they are coming to the end of their flight season.

Nice shots and certainly for a first time. You should be pleased with them.
Best time to get the Dragonflies is early morning when they stay still for a while warming up.(y)

Back