My first DSLR pics for c&c

Name
Greg
Edit My Images
Yes
hey all,

here are my first attempts using a Sony DSLR - C&C very welcome :)

1)

2)

3)

4)

Like #3 - #2 could do with more view to the left to give the idea of the boat having some space to move into IMO.

These are only my opinions and i am far from a pro

#1. Nice and sharp but lacking something, maybe if a few clouds to break the sky up

#2. Lovely shot but the dead daffodils are a bit of a distraction but then again could add to the decay of the boat

#3. I like this shot the most, showing the old and past with the current, i might have pp'd out the bird in the sky on the right as it is so small it looks like a spec.

#4. A nice shot but looks a bit to square on, maybe an angled shot might make it more intresting

They are great shots and look forward to future ones, i wish my first shots came out like these :)

Decent shots for a first effort,might be worth converting one of the boat shots to b&w,should look as good ;)

Seems you have a slight dust issue,no problem,just one of the drawbacks with changeable lenses

thanks so far for the c&c, its a tough game this photo malarky but i am really enjoying it and learn from every comment :)

I like No.3 as well, quite quirky.

If this is a new SLR and you haven't been changing lenses willy nilly you may be advices to get it back to the shop for a clean as there are 2 dust marks, notice to the right of the light house near the bottom black section. It may be that was has dropped off as in the other shots only one appears, but it's quite a big one.

the photos though are sharp, with great colour.

Decent shots for a first effort,might be worth converting one of the boat shots to b&w,should look as good ;)

Seems you have a slight dust issue,no problem,just one of the drawbacks with changeable lenses

Thank you :) Any suggestions how to solve the dust issue? Can i get brushes etc to clean the camera/lens?

if it is dust, it's a simple process, but read up on cleaning sensors before you do, as you can wreck it getting it wrong.

First time I cleaned one I made it worse adding smears, took me weeks to get the technique right, but after that it's not too hard. Just invest in the right kit.

PS as it's new it could also be an oil smear, as I say it's new, get the shop to have it pro cleaned, you should be able to get away with it this time round. (that was advice I got from the camera shop after I messed mine up and went in to get better cleaning kit - too late then lol)

if it is dust, it's a simple process, but read up on cleaning sensors before you do, as you can wreck it getting it wrong.

First time I cleaned one I made it worse adding smears, took me weeks to get the technique right, but after that it's not too hard. Just invest in the right kit.

Right....i am now reading up how to clean dslr's.....its the little things u kinda dont realise when there interchangable lenses involved!!! :)

I wont be too nervous when i start cleaning!!!! :eek:

Back in the film days dust wasn't that big a deal as the film moved it on and you maybe got one shot with a speck or two. Now dust stays there.

My method is to keep it simple.

1. try and avoid dust in the first place, camera pointing down, swap lens quickly.
2. use the cameras auto dust off if it has it, most do these days.
3. use a good rocket blower, again camera down but shutter and mirror open, you can also goto as dust free a place as pos, a bathroom with the tap running is meant to be best
4. two passes with a swab, then blower again.

this usually does the job, with 4 that's where you need to take care.

I've also seen the blue tack method used well, or static brushes like the Arctic butterfly

If it goes wrong, don't panic, read some more and re clean, just don't be rough with it.

Hi Greg, Martyn beat me to it with the B&W idea with the boats, especially no. 3 and the lovely texture of the wood. Spot on with the exposure and no.4 is really nicely composed and framed.

ok, i have converted pic 3 to b&w and got rid of the dust. Hopefully the b&w conversion isnt too bad :)

Works better in colour IMO.

I like them all especially number 3.

Number 1 just a little too clinical but I'm a noob so ignore me lol. However I might have tried playing with the location of the centre piece to make it a little more abstract.

All pics lovely and sharp. What camera/lens etc if you don't mind.

Andy

Sent from my iPhone using TP Forums

I see you use the same camera as me! First time I find someone using it haha

Nice set of pictures, but I really like number 2. Congratulations!!

I like them all especially number 3.

Number 1 just a little too clinical but I'm a noob so ignore me lol. However I might have tried playing with the location of the centre piece to make it a little more abstract.

All pics lovely and sharp. What camera/lens etc if you don't mind.

Andy

Sent from my iPhone using TP Forums

Hi Andy, thanks for your c&c.....just because you are a noob (like me!!) doesnt make your comments any less valid :)

I have a Sony A290 with a 18-55mm lens, just your basic entry level DSLR but does what i want, and have the ability to do :LOL:

Good to see Dungeness...

The first is sharp and central composition works. Scale is good, maybe misses something to capture remoteness.

The next 3 are well captured and I like the B&W idea - sky does nothing for the shots though. Is well worth going to get early/late light (or even night) to add some interest and get some better light and backgrounds.

Like 2 & 3, interesting reading about the dust issue, now looking at cleaning technique myself!

Back