My first DSLR wildlife video with D3s

Edit My Images
No
Not sure if this is the best place to post this, but it's not a photo so this seemed the next obvious place :)

Well, after my recent D3s upgrade (thanks to Barney Rubble on this very forum) I wanted to get out and shoot some video as quickly as I could! So, I spent a couple of hours playing with my new toy and experiencing my first ever DSLR video shoot! Room to improve but loving it so far :D

[YOUTUBE]ucd7TiipCHM[/YOUTUBE]

And here is the setup I used...I did a write up as well, which you can read here on my blog :)

D3s_video.jpg

Fab Richard, I didnt know there was music till I tried my volume when I went to watch full screen, so turn it up everyone, cant wait to get my 7D now as Ive seen that thanks it was brill :clap:

Last edited:
not bad at all, the music really makes the atmosphere. but you haven't quite convinced me to upgrade my D3 yet though.. :p
gosh, how BIG is your tripod! i have that wimberly head too, and it makes my tripod look small.

not bad at all, the music really makes the atmosphere. but you haven't quite convinced me to upgrade my D3 yet though.. :p
gosh, how BIG is your tripod! i have that wimberly head too, and it makes my tripod look small.
Thank you :)

You can never have a big enough tripod when you use the larger telephotos! lol

Which microphone are you using ?

I admit I enjoyed watching the animals but had to turn that music off - sooooooo depressing. I am not a great fan of music with natural videos - prefer to hear the birds/wind/clash of antlers etc

It's a Rode stereo mic :)

Fair comment on the music. It's always a personal thing. A couple of people have said the music made it all the better for them, but a couple haven't liked it. Swings and roundabouts really. In this case I was stuck as the mic audio had hissing over it for some reason, so it was a case of add some atmosphere with music or have it on mute lol

1st video I've seen on the forum - very nice too.

yeah but worth it!

Think I need to invest in a decent big lens for when I get a video slr, maybe the 150-500mm, heard some good things about it :)

Brilliant video!

And personally, I love that style of music and will be looking up the artist.

must say i really enjoyed it with the music, great little film. Music just added to the atmosphere and feeling. I think the music selection has a huge effect of the overalll feel of any film and is almost as important as the video footage itself!

I love the video, Some good footage of the Stag's fighting.

I just don't see the point in the Squirrel and the Crow section of footage. There wasn't any impact in why they were there. Or the still's in the video of the section we just seen.

Have you looked at Vimeo for loading up your Video's? A friend of mines said they dont restrict the quality of the video.

Thanks John :)

Squirrel and crow were just thrown in as I was just playing about with video for the first time on the D3s. I just went out and filmed a few clips one afternoon with no real purpose in mind for the editing stage. Hence no rhyme or reason to them.

I use Vimeo too, I embed Vimeo on my blog and use YouTube for forums :)

Fair enough man, it's very well put together if you was just mucking about, I think a theme or subject is in order! :)

I love the video, Some good footage of the Stag's fighting.

I just don't see the point in the Squirrel and the Crow section of footage. There wasn't any impact in why they were there. Or the still's in the video of the section we just seen.

Have you looked at Vimeo for loading up your Video's? A friend of mines said they dont restrict the quality of the video.

I loved the squirrel part ,it works well with the titles.A gentle introduction.

Very forget nikon had a full frame camera that can video too.

Anyone know how it compares to a canon 5d mk2 in terms of video capability?

Very forget nikon had a full frame camera that can video too.

Anyone know how it compares to a canon 5d mk2 in terms of video capability?

I believe the D3s is the 1st gen video from Nikon which doesn't compare well with the Canon. However the gen 2 stuff like the D7000 is equal in pretty much all aspects. When people quote Canon having a higher bit rate they don't take into account that Nikon uses B frame compression which is a much better compression algorithm compared with the current 7D, 5Dmk2's compression. Hence the lower bit rates (y)

Thanks for that. I have a D7000 I use sometimes and am impressed with the video capabilities. But it doesnt to me look quite as good as what I've seen out of the 5d2 and thought that was down to the full frame sensor goodness.

I'm liking what I se out of DSLRs more and more and particularly the Nikon ones, which seem to have a bit of a bad rep what with Canon seemingly getting in there first. The D3s is really drawing me in a multi-tasking tool. Nice work :)

Back