My First Ever Film!

Name
Jamie Palmer
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey Everyone,

Just thought I would share with you guys some of my first film shots. It's an Olympus OM-1 that I have acquired through family to mess around with and it's something I've never tried and to be honest it was an eye opener.

Just let me know your thoughts or ways to improve, there seems to be a lot of noise? (grain?) from the film but it's only a 200 ISO film?

Many Thanks

CNV00001.jpg

CNV00004.jpg

CNV00012.jpg

CNV00018.jpg

Rather nice, I want to have a go at film and I've promised myself that I will have a go soon, I hope that my first effort comes out as well as these (y) the DoF is really nice as are the exposure, there are a couple of areas that looks a touch over exposed but given this is a first attempt I have to say well done :clap: (y)

Matt
MWHCVT

Rather nice, I want to have a go at film and I've promised myself that I will have a go soon, I hope that my first effort comes out as well as these (y) the DoF is really nice as are the exposure, there are a couple of areas that looks a touch over exposed but given this is a first attempt I have to say well done :clap: (y)

Matt
MWHCVT

Thank you very much :) Well these are straight out of the camera so no edting on them, but I have now imported them into Lightroom so will give them an edit over soon.

Quite interested in the film that you used. I like the richness in the colour and the level of contrast. Was it Fuji?

It was just the free film you get when you get one developed at Jessops.

Fuji C200 Film

The emulsion is pretty old school, thus the grain. Superia 400 should be better than that (whilst still being reasonably priced) or if you want *the* best colour negative film on the market today - with the least obtrusive grain - Kodak Portra 400 is the way to go.

Thanks J,

Will check them out :) As I get trade prices on them all anyway so price isn't too much an option. But considering I have a draw with 10 of these films in it's not a bad start :)

I know I'm not looking at the full size images, but the grain doesn't seem too bad on the photos (now that I can see them larger). Grain adds character anyway!

I take it you are using the 50mm f/1.8 with the OM-1?

freecom2 said:
I know I'm not looking at the full size images, but the grain doesn't seem too bad on the photos (now that I can see them larger). Grain adds character anyway!

I take it you are using the 50mm f/1.8 with the OM-1?

Ye the 50mm also have an 80-200mm aswell but not used it yet.

I have the same lens on my OM40. I think it has a real richness to it that I just love.

When you have hard copy of your work you might need something to protect it...

Unlike digital photography and modern post processing, most film and 35mm metering will punish you if you get the exposure wrong, especially in low light.

The cheaper films like C200 that you can buy in Asda have very little either side of their intended operating zone, so unless you get things just right upon shutter release, there's not much chance of recovery afterwards.

Invest in some nicer film as suggested and you will see a difference, Velvia is pretty decent too actually.

Oh and by the way, you've been treated to having *the* best optical view finder ever put in a camera!

Oh and by the way, you've been treated to having *the* best optical view finder ever put in a camera!

Can't be too bad then :p

Unlike digital photography and modern post processing, most film and 35mm metering will punish you if you get the exposure wrong, especially in low light.

The cheaper films like C200 that you can buy in Asda have very little either side of their intended operating zone, so unless you get things just right upon shutter release, there's not much chance of recovery afterwards.

Invest in some nicer film as suggested and you will see a difference, Velvia is pretty decent too actually.

Even cheap C-41 films such as C200/Colorplus have significantly more lenient characteristics than any E6 film like Velvia. Yeah, there are much nicer films but only new C-41 emulsions are really any more forgiving, IMO.

dd1989 said:

You what? The best negative film emulsions will allow 2-3 stops of exposure latitude, and even most consumer colour C41 will easily tolerate at least 1 stop out. No punishment at all, and none of the post processing fuss. Straight out of the camera, a digital image is more likely to punish you for incorrect exposure than a negative straight out.

Yup, digital is more like shooting slide film. Once you've blown those highlights they're gone (although some sensors are better at highlight retention than others).

FruitFlakes said:
Yup, digital is more like shooting slide film. Once you've blown those highlights they're gone (although some sensors are better at highlight retention than others).

Except digital has nowhere near the DR of slide! ;)

Yeah, the practical results speak for themselves really. I sometimes guesstimate exposure when I shoot B&W, if I tried to guess exposure shooting digital it would be wildly inaccurate and involve an awful lot of PP.

Back