My first ever newborn session

Name
PHILIP
Edit My Images
No
Hi guys

I've decided to try my hand at newborn photography. The only experience i have is photographing my little one and the comments i've had from friends and family is that I should do it professionally.

However due to my lack of confidence i've offered my services for free to some work collegues of mine in order to gain more experience and confidence in photographing someone elses baby.

So at the weekend i went round armed with beanbag, octabox light stand, blankets, oh yeah and my camera lol! I had a fair idea of how to get what I wanted from the session having practiced in my living room on my daughters doll :) and also watching endless youtube tutorials on lighting and posing.

So from a technical point of view I went round feeling fairly confident.......

........That diminished however when i saw they had visitors which ruled out setting up my posing bean bag n the living room which i had planned for. So the next option was to set up in their main bedroom using the bed and leaving the beanbag in the car.
Now the bedroom had some nice light coming in but as it was fairly late in the afternoon i decided to set up my octabox to try and practice achieveing good light to keep my shots consistent. This was a challenge as there wasnt room to swing a cat so really limited my light positioning.

Also my confidence in handling a newborn baby just evaproated (don't know why as my daughter was a newborn once lol) so in the end relied on daddy putting the baby into position which really was a case of baby finding her comfy postion and me photographing.

I came away pretty disshearted when looking at the images on my camera. I knew I hadnt got the poses anywhere near what i wanted and also baby didn't want her body vest off which again was something I hadn't planned for.

Anywhow I got home and put the images into Capture one and applied som basic adjustments (mainly to reduce the redness in the skin) But even after doing this I had of a lot of work to do as baby had quite alot of milk spots on her cheeks, nose and forehead so I took the images into Photoshop for some more detailed retouching. After doing this i was much happier with the results and comsidering it was my first go at newborn photography I can see there is potential there......Juts need more confidence.

Here's a few of the shots I managed. Mummy and Daddy are over the moon with them, but i'd love some feedback from some of you guys :)

DSCF8243 3 2 by Phil Carver, on Flickr

DSCF8196 1 by Phil Carver, on Flickr

DSCF8267 1 by Phil Carver, on Flickr

DSCF8284 1 by Phil Carver, on Flickr

DSCF8198 by Phil Carver, on Flickr

Thanks for looking :)

I know it's a pretty difficult thing to do, as I've tried it! First shot is the pick of the bunch for me - it has a degree of softness about it plus the shallow DOF which seems to work so well for babies. Nothing wrong with the others mind you, but what a pity the vest/top couldn't come off.....

I think it's a good first attempt with the first being the best of the lot. Personally I'd have preferred them brighter and softer but I appreciate the lack of room you had; you've done better than my first stab mind!

James

Hiya.

I too think you have done a great job on these. More so for a first time. It's not easy at all.

"Course it looks easy on Youtube" :)

Gaz

First one is spot on. It’s certainly not easy to get variation in my limited experience.

most importantly, like you said, the mum and dad are over the moon.
But I agree with you, whilst the client may be pleased, it's always a positive evaluation to review and see how you can improve.

Practise definitely helps - you just need to hang around maternity wards ... :naughty:

Back