Critique My First Family Portrait

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
Evening All,

Never really taken photos of people, completely out of my comfort zone! Feel much more at home dabling with landscapes, but I was asked by my brother to take some shots a few days ago, in exchange for one day of watching the footy on sky sports at his house!

These were all taken with just natural light and a 1.8 50mm on my 5D.

All C&C appreciated!

IMG_1540-Facebook-FULL.jpg

IMG_1545-Facebook.jpg

IMG_1564-Facebook.jpg

IMG_1575-Facebook.jpg

IMG_1561-Facebook.jpg

Thanks,

Matt

I am not very experianced with this sort of photography myself but I think they are nice shots. I think you could experiment with getting a bit closer to your subject and trying to capture the intimacy of the family. The picture of the wee boy is great though!

Really like the idea behind no1. But I feel the background is to cluttered and the composition could of been improved.

Again I like the idea of no2 but the boy does seem to be lost amongst the tree.

No3 and 5 again the background is just too much.

I like no 4 though.

They all look they need lifting slightly in terms of exposure, but I am viewing on my phone.

Just my opinion of course :)

Matt

No. 1 id have done in portrait orientation, the brush left and right isn't pretty and adds nothing to the image. It would also have allowed you to fill the frame with the subjects.

No.2 is a good idea but I find the branch in front I the lads face too distracting.

No3 have you missed focus/camera shake or is it just my fuzzy phone screen?

4, the bnw conversion works well. Backgrounds slightly busy but it does add a curiosity element

5 the little boy looks all gloomy and dull because of the exposure.

Sorry; they don't work for me as is.

No1. Brilliant idea/pose but agree other posters, would look better in portrait orientation.

i like the idea of the first one but it would have been better with the portrait orientation.I feel that the colours look bit washed out.Maybe it is on my computer?

sounds like a good idea went west...
when using a tripod you can get closer...do a test shot without the camera operator and keep moving till you get close framing
then set the timer and go into the shot
use a wide aperture to isolate the happy trio/quartet..:).. from all the foilage..
the little monkey in the tree should be in the wild nature section...:D
best of wishes on the birth
cheers
geoff

Last edited:
Number 1 - agree with most - portrait would suit this very clever idea better
Number 2 - agree with Derek - the branch is distracting - a reflector would help lift the shadows on the face a touch

Generally a nice set

Back