My first go at HDR - Be Gentle!

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
Had a go at exposure bracketing (went for +2 0 and -2) and stuck it in photomatix, wanted to go for a darker sinister sort of feel because of the colour of the car (dark grey)

what do you think, would like some critique please

FrontHDR.jpg

thanks

Ian

I quite like the effect, my only crit would be that theres still some colours, I'd make it either black and white, or colour.

Thanks wayne, I did originally have it black and white but felt it didn't work right as a lot of the black tended to blend in the the gray, so in the end just turned the saturation back up a touch :)

Great shot, if you were looking to make it even better some NR might help?

FrontHDR.jpg

I would also do my toning in Photoshop rather than photomatix, and trees can be tricky in HDR if its windy..

But if thats your first attempt I can't wait to see more

Thanks TheDrift- (sorry dont know your name) what does NR mean (sorry for the newbie question I am a complete amateur!)

Yes this is my first go at HDR, Will try photoshop too and see how I get on with that :)

thanks again

EDIT: NR means noise reduction I am guessing! would you recommend something like noiseninja?

Last edited:
Thanks TheDrift- (sorry dont know your name) what does NR mean (sorry for the newbie question I am a complete amateur!)

Yes this is my first go at HDR, Will try photoshop too and see how I get on with that :)

thanks again

EDIT: NR means noise reduction I am guessing! would you recommend something like noiseninja?

NR= Noise reduction, I've never tried Noise ninja, i've used topaz denoise and imagenomic noiseware, both should do the job. Imagenomic has just released a new version and i'm very impressed so far.

If your going to do a lot of HDR, its worth investing in a good noise reduction programme, imo especially if you want to do more extreme conversions.

With regards to photoshop I would do the HDR in Photomatix and do the toning in photoshop. That way you will have more control that way in getting the look you want

Last edited:
This style of HDR doesn't often appeal to me to be honest, but I like the composition and details and in this instance the "grungy" HDR effect does bring out the drama in the sky very nicely to get a good bleak look. I agree it would be more suited to black and white, to my eyes the colours there don't add anything.

I actually prefer it without noise reduction. A little bit of grain suits it IMHO, but I know a lot of people don't go for that.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input Adam, will definitely do some more PP on this now to change it over to B&W :)

Back