My first go at Macro! (Spider web and a daisy)

Name
Julie
Edit My Images
No
Just bought a second hand Sigma macro lens today and oh my... :D
So much fun playing around with it! :)
Everything looks so different in macro.
Here's some shots from today.
C&C always very much appreciated.:LOL:

_ST15334 by Jules.T, on Flickr

Daisy. by Jules.T, on Flickr

Not a bad first effort (y) the first one would work better with a few water droplets (y) on the daisy the colours are really nice (y) but I would have liked to have seen a broader DoF that said you've nail focus I just want more in focus :LOL:

Matt
MWHCVT

MWHCVT said:
Not a bad first effort (y) the first one would work better with a few water droplets (y) on the daisy the colours are really nice (y) but I would have liked to have seen a broader DoF that said you've nail focus I just want more in focus :LOL:

Matt
MWHCVT

Thanks!!! :)
I am still fiddling with the focus, it's different once you're in the macro mode.... :) with f5.6 or f8 the dof is still very shallow. (Need to read about it)

I'm usually at f11 or even f16. The lens I'm using has a min of f16 and f11 is a fair compromise. The DoF is still really tiny!
Quick look at your exif for the daisy, you'd have had plenty of light to knock a couple of stops off the shutter speed and close the lens down more, adding another few millimetres (!) to the DoF :)
Really nice the way you've hit the focus spot-on in the centre :)

I know there are some nature purists who will object (each to their own) but I usually carry a sable artists brush for outdoor flowers. To 'encourage' little critters to find lunch elsewhere :)

Last edited:
OK, for a shot where the only thing I want is the flower and there's some tiny insects crawling among the stamen etc, I'll gently brush them off, or if they're willing, climb on the bristles. A sable artists 1/2" or smaller usually does the trick, without damaging either flower or bug. I tried a lens-puffer but that would blow them deeper, sometimes.
As I said, some may want to leave things au-naturelle and indeed have left them in myself occasionally. Mostly, I want the bloom to be the only subject, though.
It's not a guaranteed method, of course, but works for me well enough, often enough.

I'm usually at f11 or even f16. The lens I'm using has a min of f16 and f11 is a fair compromise. The DoF is still really tiny!
Quick look at your exif for the daisy, you'd have had plenty of light to knock a couple of stops off the shutter speed and close the lens down more, adding another few millimetres (!) to the DoF :)
Really nice the way you've hit the focus spot-on in the centre :)

I know there are some nature purists who will object (each to their own) but I usually carry a sable artists brush for outdoor flowers. To 'encourage' little critters to find lunch elsewhere :)

I'll try a slower f/ next time... (I normally never 'go over' f11 so this is a bit new for me even if the dof is still tinie tiny. :D )

The dof is indeed tiny! I was at an awkward position when I shot the daisy and my hands were not that steady and a few hit and miss before I got the focus in the centre! :) but fun time nonetheless :LOL:

haha, I am not the biggest fan of insects so might try that too! (y)

Back