My First go at street

wack61

I've got an itchy hatch
Edit My Images
No
I've never had the courage to use a DSLR as it's obvious what you're doing , I recently bought a S3 IS for my daughter with a fold out screen so pinched it for a couple of minutes at the albert dock on friday

The first one had no idea I was taking her picture, I think the second had his suspicions

I might buy an S5IS for myself and have another go

IMG_2727.jpg IMG_2728.jpg

What is the purpose of these type of shots ? Do you actually keep them ? Neither are very flattering, especially the first and the subjects obviously aren't privvy to them.

I've wondered this for a while but never asked. I've never attempted street photography as I have no desire to. Aren't they supposed to tell some sort of story or raise a question or two ?

This isn't a go at you at all Darren, I'm just curious really:)

What is the purpose of these type of shots ? Do you actually keep them ? Neither are very flattering, especially the first and the subjects obviously aren't privvy to them.

I've wondered this for a while but never asked. I've never attempted street photography as I have no desire to. Aren't they supposed to tell some sort of story or raise a question or two ?

This isn't a go at you at all Darren, I'm just curious really:)

As Darren said this is his first go,to me their more portrait of people in the street,is street photography suppose to tell an story or raise ?,i think that's more down to photojournalist than just street photographer.

As you have said your no desire to do street,but their a lots of different type of photography some people will have no desire to say take photos of small birds,which has a large following or to be a wedding pro,but people do that and enjoy or make money from it.

Each to his own :)

I've never had the courage to use a DSLR as it's obvious what you're doing , I recently bought a S3 IS for my daughter with a fold out screen so pinched it for a couple of minutes at the albert dock on friday

A quick search for that camera only brought up a very old Canon Powershot, and an oldFujifilm S3 sure it can't be either of them :thinking:

This is more candid photography than street. Street Photography can be roughly defined as 'subjects engaged in their environment' it's not an easy one to define but a 35mm or 50mm focal length will open up the field of view to place the subject in a wider proximity. This could be talking with someone, shopping or just having a heated conversation on a phone. Liverpool is such a great place for photography with so many characters.

Hi Darren - notices that you're ok with people editing your images... With the second id have been temped to go with something such as this...

face.jpg

Looking at the quality of the file - it doesnt leave much room to play with tbh. If the quality was there i would have lightened his left shoulder instead of being a big black triangle....

This is more candid photography than street. Street Photography can be roughly defined as 'subjects engaged in their environment' it's not an easy one to define but a 35mm or 50mm focal length will open up the field of view to place the subject in a wider proximity. This could be talking with someone, shopping or just having a heated conversation on a phone. Liverpool is such a great place for photography with so many characters.
All this on my door step I really should get out and photograph it, just I see it everyday and I don't seem to notice it..

Hi Darren - notices that you're ok with people editing your images... With the second id have been temped to go with something such as this...

face.jpg

Looking at the quality of the file - it doesnt leave much room to play with tbh. If the quality was there i would have lightened his left shoulder instead of being a big black triangle....

There is detail in Darren's OP in the guys shoulder, I think your processing has blocked the detail out.

Back onto the OP, I agree with @Blank_Canvas, Nick, this is more candid portraits than street photography as a genre.
Lets not get too caught up in definitions though, good work on getting out there and taking photographs.

If I were you, if you have a compulsion to shoot people in the street, I'd stop, ask and actually take portraits, I reckon they'd end up being more interesting.

If I were you, if you have a compulsion to shoot people in the street, I'd stop, ask and actually take portraits, I reckon they'd end up being more interesting.
that would mean having to interact with random people which some people love and others hate - im more of an observer than an interacter!

I am, I wouldn"t dare look through a viewfinder pointed at somebody unless I was 500m away

on the ipad they looked OK but on a PC screen they're not sharp at LL

Ah well back to motorsport

A quick search for that camera only brought up a very old Canon Powershot, and an oldFujifilm S3 sure it can't be either of them :thinking:

It is Canon powershot S3 IS

she's 15 , it'll get left on a bus

Last edited:
I am, I wouldn"t dare look through a viewfinder pointed at somebody unless I was 500m away

Images aren't too bad for a very old compact, better than my Panasonic TZ55. Probably because mine is too overloaded with megapixels

I don't think these are portraiture, more just candid shots. Nice though.

I love street photography. Some people 'get it' some don't. Some street photography is candid, some portraiture, some documentary - no rights/no wrongs. I think it's one genre of photography where many rules can be bent or broken.

Fare play to you for trying. I fancy trying Street Photograpy but I'm not too sure of the etiquette. I'm a wheelchair user so was thinking of just putting my 70d with a nifty fifty on my lap and use the screen. To me the second shot says WTF are you taking my picture for:)

Did you enjoy it though? If so, don't give up and keep at it.
Not a flattering shot of the lady with bunting appearing out of her head. But I've seen a lot worse. Keep at it if you are enjoying it.

Back