My first go with a Macro lens

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
Yes
I just got my first Macro lens (Thanks Kerso)

Light wasn't great, all hand held, need a lot more practice :)

1st try with a proper macro lens

a quickr pickr post

you look like you have got the bits in focus/sharp you wanted nicely.

But I would say you need a bit more dof on them, I normally use F. 8-16 depending on what I am shooting etc.

Have a mess on with the F. settings and you will soon pick it up :)

like the water on the leaf.

Not easy is it, having just dabbled in macro myself the dof is a killer. fwiw I like the water droplet shots the most.

Thanks for the comments guys :)

Really pleased as a first go, but need to learn.

I need to sort my flash out to bring more light and to be able to play with higher f stop numbers...

Really pleased with this lens

Martin, if you want to meet up at some point to practice together we could. I don't have much more than a lens, flash and reflector and some other bits and bobs but it might help!

Martin, if you want to meet up at some point to practice together we could. I don't have much more than a lens, flash and reflector and some other bits and bobs but it might help!

Sounds like a good idea...

I am out in kew tomorrow , will ping you a pm, maybe we should do a macro meet?

Hey Martin, can I ask which lens you went for?

and your feedback on it?

Hi Martin,

Well done with your first attempt.

#1 - I do like the more shallow DoF in this shot. It's quite arty in a way and I would say the colour and crispness on the edges is nice. Light isn't at all too bad with nice bokeh behind.

#2 - This one I'm afraid looks over exposed - the highlights are blown out, unless the subject was white but it does seem to have lost definition.

#3 - Droplets are cool. As has been mentioned, more DoF is required and the focus is just a bit out but a good attempt all the same.

#4 - Again, a little more DoF would be good for this shot. The light is a touch harsh but it hasn't blown anything out.

Good stuff and a good set of first attempts. Improvements will certainly be forthcoming with no problem I think :)

Hi Martin,

Well done with your first attempt.

#1 - I do like the more shallow DoF in this shot. It's quite arty in a way and I would say the colour and crispness on the edges is nice. Light isn't at all too bad with nice bokeh behind.

#2 - This one I'm afraid looks over exposed - the highlights are blown out, unless the subject was white but it does seem to have lost definition.

#3 - Droplets are cool. As has been mentioned, more DoF is required and the focus is just a bit out but a good attempt all the same.

#4 - Again, a little more DoF would be good for this shot. The light is a touch harsh but it hasn't blown anything out.

Good stuff and a good set of first attempts. Improvements will certainly be forthcoming with no problem I think :)

Ian,

Thank you VERY much for taking the time and effort to be so detailed in your feedback.

I agree with all your points, but for a first go I am very pleased with the result.

1) Hand held indoors with natural light hence the very shallow dof, but I loved the colour and shape.

2) White litchen in harsh light, no surprise it blew...

3) This leaf was tiny as were the droplets so I was pleased to get any of it in focus with the wind blowing as well.. But yes needs more dof

4) Again, outdoors, harsh light, please to get it in focus at all given the wind :)

Really pleased with this lens, need to sort a flash setup that works, might have to invest in a ring flash.

Hey Martin, can I ask which lens you went for?

and your feedback on it?

I jumped in feet first and got the 100mm F2.8 L IS USM Macro..

It is a lovely lens, a joy to use but requires some new techniques compared to standard shooting. I am out in kew tonight with a bodged up flash solution so i can try it out some more.

Thanks folks

Back