My First: Infrared Landscapes

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all :) I've really enjoyed browsing the photos here and thouht I'd share some from my most recent venture.
After much aggro trying to get my camera to shoot Infrared photos with a decent white balance I tried using the "Measure" mode instead of the "Use Photo" option. I also used my other halfs D70, as it seems to need shorter exposure times than the D80. I could instantly see a huge difference in the preview screen, and processing was far simpler with better results, here's some of what I've achieved.

1. I really love shooting at the local golf course, lots of trees, slopes, and a cute little hut!
main.php

2. Massive tree!!! Must go back and take some more of this with my 10mm, you can see how windy it was by the extreme blur on the outer limbs, but I like it.
main.php

3. The local chavs have been ruining the grass on the Ashdown forest for a while now, makes me sad :(
main.php

4. Some more of the chavs work, little *****. I've watched them just spin and spin on the grass for ages before getting bored. Should be shot! But I like the image, the friends clump is always packed with people, walkers, kite flyers, etc, even in this weather! But I found a relatively clear spot :)
main.php

5. And one more from the golf course, quite a pleasant view.
main.php

I hate only being able to shoot at weekends, especially when I look out of the window at work and see a really beautiful day. But I managed to pack a lot into yesterday, so its not all bad :)

Processing on these was quite fun, using an IR action off the interweb to switch R/B channels and auto-level/auto-contrast/auto-colour left a yellowy red cast to everything that I then desaturated. I think the cast was an artifact of poor execution, so hopefully with practice I can eliminate that.

Its been a lot of fun so far learning this stuff :)

Hopefully when the weather improves I'll be able to improve on these and get some results near to the awesomeness of some others I have seen, I particularly want some clear skies!

Thanks for looking, comments or criticism very welcome.

on these and get some results near to the awesomeness of some others I have seen,

Personally I hope you don't go too far down other peoples routes, these are my favourite IR's from the ones I've seen about.

Really nice shots to start with where the processing has served to enhance what you've shot, rather than rescue, or dress it up. (y)

Really nice shots to start with where the processing has served to enhance what you've shot, rather than rescue, or dress it up. (y)

What words of wisdom (y)

I like these images, in one sense the 'chavs' have done you a favour (although I can't see you buying them a beer for their efforts), as the tyre marks provide nice lead-ins, without them, the images (3&4) would be flat.

And I like the light touch to IR you have brought to this.

Some good work here .

Well thank you all, kind comments :)
Hehe, you're right, the chavs have provided an interesting point for the photos, but they're still ***** :p

Cheers :)

Back