My first landscape and i'am pretty shocked....

Edit My Images
Yes
Hey guy's

Some of you might know from some of the threads i have put on here that i got my first slr camera for christmas (nikon d5000) and i love it but never taken what i would call proper pictuers.

Were here is my first go which was taken on boxing day about 9 o clock in the morning.

c+c welcome

Using standard lens 18-55mm none VR
Unreal.jpg

Just brought a nikon d5000 full size tripod of the internet but got to wait for it to arrive.........................:thumbsdown:

Nice shot. What settings did you use?

Erm thats the thing i have not got a clue just had it on auto with the flash turned off, wish i knew *** i was doing, but rome was not built in a day i guess...

EXIF Data states 24mm, ISO200, F14, 1/800th

2 more things to buy.....:D

when you get your tripod, get a Nikon remote shutter release about £15
then, when taking landscape shots, you dont vibrate the camera
[ you can use the timer - but the remote is easier]

the Owners manual is rubbish...get D5000 by David Busch from Amazon

if you like landscapes, do a bit of reading about graduated ND filters which reduce the brightness of skies etc

2 more things to buy.....:D

when you get your tripod, get a Nikon remote shutter release about £15
then, when taking landscape shots, you dont vibrate the camera
[ you can use the timer - but the remote is easier]

the Owners manual is rubbish...get D5000 by David Busch from Amazon

if you like landscapes, do a bit of reading about graduated ND filters which reduce the brightness of skies etc

Thanks alot yardbent just found it on amazon will get that thanks alot been having loads of trouble sorting out the light with sky's since using the camera and its really doing my head in:bang:]

And thanks lolage just cant wait for my tripod to come never thought having a tripod would make that much of a change untill yesterday.....:shrug:

Bring on the summer..............

That's a great shot for your first effort. It was fine without a tripod because of the high shutter speed and very short focal length (24mm).

Something about this one I really like Charlie. Keep up the good work and welcome to TP ;)

Good result for your first attempt. I would suggest that you try some shots with your lens as wide as it will go,18mm. For landscapes I don,t think you can beat a nice wide angle view. Let us see some more.
Also where was the photo taken?

Good result for your first attempt. I would suggest that you try some shots with your lens as wide as it will go,18mm. For landscapes I don,t think you can beat a nice wide angle view. Let us see some more.
Also where was the photo taken?

thanks jack and the pictures was taken in a place called pennington flash in leigh.

And thanks CGeezer means lot guys as feel like its a pretty ok start just waiting for my tripod now :bang:

thanks jack and the pictures was taken in a place called pennington flash in leigh.

And thanks CGeezer means lot guys as feel like its a pretty ok start just waiting for my tripod now :bang:

Thanks for the info. When I first looked I thought it was Carr Mill Dam,but I couldn,t remember seeing a bench there. You should try it,I took a lot of photos there over Christmas.

You have a very nice composition there, so if you have a good "eye" for a photo the technical stuff will follow. Don't rush it, read all you can on here and invest in "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson.

There are many people who know the technical stuff but just don't have that "eye" to make a good picture. You are lucky you have it as it is a great bonus and you are well on the way to a great deal of fun and interest. (y)

You have a very nice composition there, so if you have a good "eye" for a photo the technical stuff will follow. Don't rush it, read all you can on here and invest in "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson.

There are many people who know the technical stuff but just don't have that "eye" to make a good picture. You are lucky you have it as it is a great bonus and you are well on the way to a great deal of fun and interest. (y)

Thank you so much janice you have made my day (y) that really means alot that you have just pumped me up, so off out i go today to take more pictures and i cant get over all the great feed back i have been getting and i will get that book you advised i think the best advise you have givin is "Dont rush".

Just got so much passion for it, i just wanna be a pro now hahahahah:wacky: it hits me how far i have to go when i look at pictures on here its just unreal how they do it but i guess with the passion i have for this hopefully 2011 will be a great year for my photos.(y)

Erm thats the thing i have not got a clue just had it on auto with the flash turned off, wish i knew *** i was doing, but rome was not built in a day i guess...

Focal length: 24*mm*(equiv. 36*mm)
Aperture: F14
Exposure time: 1/800"
ISO speed rating: 200/24°
Program: Not defined
Metering Mode: Pattern
White Balance: Auto
Flash: Flash did not fire, auto mode

Creation date: 26/12/2010 09:51

This is lovely!

The sun glistening on the water is brilliant, and i like the effects the rocks have on the photo too!

Really nice photo.

Focal length: 24*mm*(equiv. 36*mm)
Aperture: F14
Exposure time: 1/800"
ISO speed rating: 200/24°
Program: Not defined
Metering Mode: Pattern
White Balance: Auto
Flash: Flash did not fire, auto mode

Creation date: 26/12/2010 09:51

I take it you missed my post above ;)

lol

if you do buy a 'remote' you have to change the shooting mode [or something - too much Shiraz ATM to think straight - well it is NYEve]

ahah....
try 'info' then 'info' again to get into the selections
scroll to release mode , press ok, scroll down to 5th option 'remote', press ok
now the Nikon remote will trigger the camera

i 'believe' a half press of the remote will focus - to be sure ....RTFM...:LOL::LOL:

Great first shot!

Bring on the summer..............

You won't be saying that when you need to wake up at 1am to get somewhere to catch the sunrise or staying somewhere till 9pm for sunset. :LOL:

This year I am going to try and get up at those crazy times to get some shots though, the results are worth it. Unless it's raining when you get there...

Great first shot!

You won't be saying that when you need to wake up at 1am to get somewhere to catch the sunrise or staying somewhere till 9pm for sunset. :LOL:

This year I am going to try and get up at those crazy times to get some shots though, the results are worth it. Unless it's raining when you get there...

Hey martyp never really thought about that but like you said i'am sure it will be worth it in the long run......(y)

If this is your first shot - such excellent composition and quality ! I wonder how the pics will turn out with practice !!!!! Well done

EXIF Data states 24mm, ISO200, F14, 1/800th

I was just gonna say you can get an Exif reader for Google Chrome etc so when you move your cursor over a photo it brings up the info such as Aperture, Shutter Speed etc. Really nice photo and you cant beat the sun and winter for drama. I would say if you want a remote dont get the proper Nikon one, just get the ML-L3 copy off EBay for £3. Its identical but has a different name. Mine says 'for Nikon'. Hope you enjoy the D5000, have you looked in the D5000 owners thread?
Phil

Last edited:
Can only repeat the above. Not bad at all for a first time. You definatly have an eye for it :)

I like it too Charlie - I've had my camera for a couple of years and it's better than anything I've done.

Good call for Carr Mill Dam too (I'm biased as I used to live round the corner from it)

From a fellow Liverpool dweller

I like it too Charlie - I've had my camera for a couple of years and it's better than anything I've done.

Good call for Carr Mill Dam too (I'm biased as I used to live round the corner from it)

From a fellow Liverpool dweller

Thanks alot exiled was at carr mill dam yesterday but its kinda like x factor i have had a great start but felt like the ones after that have not been as good ( carr mill dam ) so i have not put them up so just waiting now for my remote control and my tripod to arrive then hopefully things will get ALOT better(y)

Back