My First Macro

Name
Marc
Edit My Images
No
Just recently bought a macro extension tube and remote shutter release so I could make better use of the macro switch on my lens. Saw a slug slowly making his way across our decking and decided it was a good opportunity to try it out... here's the best of the bunch;

IMG_3548.jpg

I wasn't sure whether to focus on the ends of his tentacles (eyes?) or his "face" - also I'm not sure what can be done about the shallow depth of field.

Comments / suggestions welcome!

You need a little more practise I'm afraid.

DOF can be increased by the use of a higher F no, acording to the exif you shot this at 1/30th sec @ f1.8 and ISO 400, you really need to have more light to be able to use an aperture of f8 or above, although this may require the use of flash to keep the shutter speed up. 1/30th sec id not really quick enough for a moving subject (not even a snail) when at these very close distances.

^^^ I agree, but you are in the right place to get inspired, keep at it ;)

Well it's better than my first attempt!

You need light and lots of it. Try again when the sun is cracking the flags and you will be amazed at the difference. I'd also try to get at eye/tentacle level to get a better level :)

and keep trying you will only get better the more you try.

You need a little more practise I'm afraid.

DOF can be increased by the use of a higher F no, acording to the exif you shot this at 1/30th sec @ f1.8 and ISO 400, you really need to have more light to be able to use an aperture of f8 or above, although this may require the use of flash to keep the shutter speed up. 1/30th sec id not really quick enough for a moving subject (not even a snail) when at these very close distances.

I think at f/1.8 the picture may have worked better from a different angle. I agree that a narrower aperture should be used but think the picture above would be better if the camera was at a lower angle as to get the rest of the snails body in the shot?

You need light and lots of it. Try again when the sun is cracking the flags and you will be amazed at the difference. I'd also try to get at eye/tentacle level to get a better level :)

Bright light makes a huge difference. Until I get myself set up with a flash I'm only going to bother with Macro when the sun is shining, it makes the pictures so much better.

Back