My first night shot fluke :D - 2 more images added

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
While taking a 30 sec exposure last night a car came along the road from the left. As it got closer I realised it would completely blow out the bottom of my image, so I moved the camera away for the last 2 secs

The 'main' image is then 28 secs but those last 2 secs only recorded my movement as red squiggles from the lights on the far turbines

The overall shot is somewhat "Other-Worldly" with the lens flare from the car's headlights created being in exactly the right spot - fluke or genius knowing when to pull the camera away ??? lol - you decide :D

Wind turbines-11 1 WEB TP
by DG Phototraining on Talk Photography

Dave

Wow, it looks like a cover from a sci fi book, fluke or not I would be well chuffed wth it (y)

Pretty much as above. Really like it. Would look very good printed and framed :)

Great effects, interesting that you get the red light trails but no significant ghosting of the turbines or stars (brightness I guess), the lens flare is great

Now all you gotta do is learn how you did it so you can start to provide tutorials on 'unorthodox photography'. :D Great shot! I'd be chuffed with it.

Wow, it looks like a cover from a sci fi book, fluke or not I would be well chuffed wth it (y)
That was my first thought!

Very good (y)

Album / CD cover!

Cheers guys - nice that its so liked, I must pull off a fluke more often :)

Yv - if I was going for a print for someone other than me I would remove the red squiggles as without knowing why they are there it could seem confusing, but I like them as it helps recall the story of me picking up the tripod and moving out of the way of the car :D

sirch - yep, I'm guessing that the red lights are indeed much brighter than any individual stars and hence they have created trails whereas the stars etc. haven't

Dave

Well that makes for a very pleasing shot even if it wasn't planned as such.

"'S all dun in fotoshop, innit!" ;)

Nice one, Dave! (y)

Last edited:
Not sure what ISO you were at for those, Dave but if it's within "normal" film range, try an old film camera so you can get the trails in a single shot. No battery if possible - even an old Russian RF will do the job (for almost sod all!)

A further comment on the original one - to use a phrase coined by Bob Ross "No such thing as mistakes, just happy accidents!" When I've set out to try to catch shooting stars, I have yet to catch even one on camera but trying to get a faint Aurora and using 30s exposures, I managed to catch not only the Aurora but a shooting star almost central in the frame!

Not as YUK as gaps in the light trails!!! (IIRC, the D750 has a proper T setting rather than the limit set on some when using B.)

As (IIRC) Gary Player said, "Lucky? Yup - the more I practise the luckier I get!" (Or words to that effect!)

Be interesting to blend it so everything was removed bar the arcs and the discshape in the middle. PP anyone? (Im rubbish) Maybe post it in the PP section for people to mess with?

Be interesting to blend it so everything was removed bar the arcs and the discshape in the middle. PP anyone? (Im rubbish) Maybe post it in the PP section for people to mess with?

I'm not sure what you mean Chris but if anyone wants to have a play - feel free :)

Oh, and, there's a PP section on here now too ??? Goes to look

Dave

IMO the flare makes the first shot. I agree that the squiggles could do with removal though.

I know Dave put it down to luck but the shot does show some flair as well as flare! Another 20 years of practise and he might make a photographer!!! ;)

VERY few people make money from something they're crap at - see, only minutes have passed and there's another compliment!!!

While taking a 30 sec exposure last night a car came along the road from the left. As it got closer I realised it would completely blow out the bottom of my image, so I moved the camera away for the last 2 secs

The 'main' image is then 28 secs but those last 2 secs only recorded my movement as red squiggles from the lights on the far turbines

The overall shot is somewhat "Other-Worldly" with the lens flare from the car's headlights created being in exactly the right spot - fluke or genius knowing when to pull the camera away ??? lol - you decide :D Dave

I've thrown a jacket over my camera on a long exposure when I could see a car coming along the road and took it off once he was clear. It worked but there was a gap in the stars. I wish I'd tried to move the camera now after seeing your first shot. :)

I generally consider wind turbines ugly, especially on a skyline. These pictures capture a gracefulness not often seen.

I've thrown a jacket over my camera on a long exposure when I could see a car coming along the road and took it off once he was clear. It worked but there was a gap in the stars. I wish I'd tried to move the camera now after seeing your first shot. :)

I generally consider wind turbines ugly, especially on a skyline. These pictures capture a gracefulness not often seen.

I hadn't actually considered what to do if a car came along mid shot !!! So I had nothing to use as a protection - Yep - basic error lol

And these structures are defo a bit 'Marmite' - I actually do like them and fine them graceful, I also like what they're doing as opposed to coal-fired power generation - which is harder to photograph as everyone thinks you're a terrorist if you get too close to those :D

Dave

Back