Beginner My first picture post

I'm not entirely convinced that the horizon is level; that's all.

Yeah i did straighten it a bit but the more i look at it the more i think its needing a bit more.

I wouldn't worry about the horizon here. Because of the narrow vertical format, the horizon line is pretty short, and overall too it's a mood image. Photos don't all have to be forensic. Sometimes you can go with the flow of things (or even provoke them!).

Well, you shot into the sun, so the in-camera meter under exposed the foreground whilst over exposing the sun. Low angle sun has flattered the beach rendering shaddows in the ripples, to emphasise the texture in sand and waves.

Take from this whatever hints you like really....

1- underedposinge forground adds mood
2- low angle light brings out texture
3- water is shiney and gives interesting reflections and highlights.
Etc.

To my eye, your horizon, well can argue the level till doomsday; to my eye, the horizon cuts neither 1/3 from top nor bottom, folowing rule of 3rds, nor 1/2 way between, obviousely breaking it.. and it just leaves me a bit meh, its neither nor, or an alternative or particularl;y pleasing compisition.

What, I think is making anthing of the shot, is that underexposed and moodly forground... So tips for next time, ponder the good the bad and the ugly in this one, and next time, shoot to get more of the good, less of the bad and none of the ugly....

If me, I would probably want to go low and left... get the sun raking down the beach and surf, at LHS of shot, and be a bit cuter about the horezontal and rule of 1/3rds, ore breaking it.....

I would then likely bracket exposures to get a set of original images I could montage in post to even out the exposure, maybe HDR, considerately... and/or crop to taste; probable playing a bit with filters, grey grad and polariser too, to get a better exposure with less blown out sun vs lost shaddow detail....

As they is in the filter pouch, I might even play with some of the others, like coloured grads or star-bursts, just for the heck of it.... And use a tripod!!!

A B&W conversion, even a tinted B&W rendition might be interesting, creation in post too.

Plenty that could be done with that basic scene/capture if you tried.. how many may be any better is very subjective, but that's another matter...

Point is what were you trying to get? Did you actually have a plan before you began? And 'Subject'... its a back-ground. On its own its not all that interesting or has much context or relevance.. stick a focal point in there, like a child playing or a model posing, a person, or a car or motorbike, or 'whatever' and the shot has new dimension...

Eg; it's pretty monochromatic, and lacks inherent colour interest and focal point... imagine if there was a 10 year old child on the beach trying to fly a colourful kite.... all of a sudden there would be colour, scale, relevance, interest, and 'soooooo' much more to the photo....

On which note; in the boot of the car, along side the camera bag containing the all-prime, film camera, was my girl-guide 'magic' bag of kids entertainment... and sweets... bribery WORKS, especially when childlings yanking at locked car door handles and yelling at you down the beach about dinner! And complaining about your 'ruddy' camera... A-G-A-I-N!

Bag contained colourful kite, foot-ball, bucket and spade and similar toys.. worked well at the park, at the beach and many other outdoor places, with or without either camera or kids!!!! Wet-Wipes are a useful thing to have with you too, and a small 1st aid kit.... astounding how many electric things need a safety-pin to press the buttons or a nail file to get the rusty batteries out, or elasro-plast to hold them together after!

Thanks for all the advice guys! Hopefully help with future shots.

Back