My first proper photoshoot...

Name
Ollie
Edit My Images
Yes
Haven't done it yet, but am going to soon!
I only have my Sony A33, kit lens + telephoto/macro lens and a reflector/diffuser.
She'll be trying out a variety of clothes, from a long wavy dress, short shorts, to a loose T-shirt etc
Looking to use natural light and the field out back primarily, but I have a load of things scribbled down.
Also have a fan that could be used to give the impression of wind, but I think that would have to have some clever use of the extension cable:thinking:

The things I am unsure on is the make up and poses; any favourite types you would like to share? Any advice? I'm thinking smoky eyes...
What's the best way to get them in the pose you want?:LOL:
I do have some spare cash (only a £100 or so), I was thinking about buying a background?

Looking forward to it though :D
Nearing my first year of AS photography, but this isn't for that.

Thanks, Ollie

Last edited:
Personally, I'd say the best way to spend your £100 is on an experienced model for an afternoon. You'll learn learn a lot about posing, wardrobe and make-up, plus you'll have a much better chance of getting images you can use in your portfolio.

I wouldn't worry about getting a backdrop until you have some lighting to use it with.

go to flickr and have a look at the portrait group. copy poses and styles, its a good way of learning

Go to some industrial unused location (only if your model trusts you mind!) and use that as your background. Get some battery powered worklights and some gels (or coloured plastics) to get some interesting colour on the BG and get some constant light on your subject (again worklights with your reflector/diffuser to balance things out) and use the inverse square law to balance your lighting out and you should be able to achieve some great looking stuff well within your £100 budget.

I don't think £100 will get you anywhere else with lighting and seeing as you didn't mention any off camera flashes in your initial post, I think this will be one of the best ways for you to create a good look without breaking the bank.

Please don't use the on camera flash for this though. Your pictures will be flat, horrendously unbalanced and you and your model will both feel like you wasted your time.

As far as makeup goes, I would discuss a general look you want to go for with your model and then leave it to her to do the makeup in a way that looks good. If you pick up a fashion/makeup mag and use it for examples, I'm sure it will be much easier to come up with a look that suits what you are going for.

Good luck!

Wish I had more money :|

Personally, I'd say the best way to spend your £100 is on an experienced model for an afternoon. You'll learn learn a lot about posing, wardrobe and make-up, plus you'll have a much better chance of getting images you can use in your portfolio.

I wouldn't worry about getting a backdrop until you have some lighting to use it with.
It's already been arranged, she's a friend too :)

go to flickr and have a look at the portrait group. copy poses and styles, its a good way of learning
Having a looksy now :D
Go to some industrial unused location (only if your model trusts you mind!) and use that as your background. Get some battery powered worklights and some gels (or coloured plastics) to get some interesting colour on the BG and get some constant light on your subject (again worklights with your reflector/diffuser to balance things out) and use the inverse square law to balance your lighting out and you should be able to achieve some great looking stuff well within your £100 budget.

I don't think £100 will get you anywhere else with lighting and seeing as you didn't mention any off camera flashes in your initial post, I think this will be one of the best ways for you to create a good look without breaking the bank.

Please don't use the on camera flash for this though. Your pictures will be flat, horrendously unbalanced and you and your model will both feel like you wasted your time.

As far as makeup goes, I would discuss a general look you want to go for with your model and then leave it to her to do the makeup in a way that looks good. If you pick up a fashion/makeup mag and use it for examples, I'm sure it will be much easier to come up with a look that suits what you are going for.

Good luck!
Interesting Idea, although I was looking towards a more natural theme. I'm confident I can at least get a few good shots even with daylight!
Tbh overall I'm wanting more lenses, filters and other accessories; well I don't know what I really want.:wacky:
Yeh, I think I'll let her do her make up, it's always good anyway...
Hopefully I can get a job in the summer and work my arse off and get some nice cash to put towards some gear.
Cheers for the ideas and advice guys!

For £100 you could pick up a cheap set of wireless triggers and a cheap flashgun on eBay.

You open up a whole new world of photography once you make the move to becoming a strobist.

Is your reflector a silver/gold one? The gold side gives some great skin tones and if you adjust the white balance accordingly you'll end up with some lovely warm models and cold darkened backgrounds.

At weddings, if I sense that the B&G are nervous, I usually pull the whole Austin powers "Yes yes, YEAH BABY" thing and as soon as they relax and start to laugh/smile things become a whole lot easier. A tense, nervous model will show on the finished product.

PS. I've patented my Austin Powers approach!!!!

For £100 you could pick up a cheap set of wireless triggers and a cheap flashgun on eBay.

You open up a whole new world of photography once you make the move to becoming a strobist.

Is your reflector a silver/gold one? The gold side gives some great skin tones and if you adjust the white balance accordingly you'll end up with some lovely warm models and cold darkened backgrounds.

At weddings, if I sense that the B&G are nervous, I usually pull the whole Austin powers "Yes yes, YEAH BABY" thing and as soon as they relax and start to laugh/smile things become a whole lot easier. A tense, nervous model will show on the finished product.

PS. I've patented my Austin Powers approach!!!!
Hmm I'll look into it!
It's gold one side and white the other. So giving me the warm light as you said and soft light :)
Haha:clap:
Cheers

To throw in my 2p. Keep it simple is some of the cash maybe £20-30 on a mua and other than that go with natural light.

As well as studying poses look at where the lighting is coming from. You the first shoot to give you confidence manipulating natural light and posing the model then next shoot add a single light if required and build it up so you gain an understanding of the light and where it goes.

If you have no used flash previously it may not be ideal time to start when other people are waiting for you (friend or not).

Don't mean to sound rude its just if you over complicate things you might come away with nothing.

To throw in my 2p. Keep it simple is some of the cash maybe £20-30 on a mua and other than that go with natural light.

As well as studying poses look at where the lighting is coming from. You the first shoot to give you confidence manipulating natural light and posing the model then next shoot add a single light if required and build it up so you gain an understanding of the light and where it goes.

If you have no used flash previously it may not be ideal time to start when other people are waiting for you (friend or not).

Don't mean to sound rude its just if you over complicate things you might come away with nothing.
MUA?
Yeh, I mean even if I did have lots of flashes etc I would still want to attempt to do some shoots entirely with natural light! Cheers:)

Apologies MUA = make up artist. Can make a world of difference to the images - and any post processing you may have to do (and makes the model feel a little bit special too!)

Ooh right. She has spotless skin and always has good make up anyway:D Thanks for the suggestion.:)

Back