My first Red Kite.

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
Quite fortunate to get these wonderful birds flying over my house and with some tempting (sunday lunch chicken carcass) got them to soar overhead and swoop down to take some of the chicken. They are far to quick to get that pic though lol, a lot more practice required.

Anyway here is what i did get.

Kite1
by mac1982, on Flickr

Thanks for looking :).

Last edited:
Nice 1st shot ... they certainly do 'duck & dive' with speed though :)

A damned fine shot and I particularly like that you've kept the depth of colour and not washed out the shadows.
Maybe you should get a tripod and remote to capture them coming down for lunch ;)

Thanks guys, now I know what brings them in I might attempt the diving shot, it could be a while before I get one worth posting though lol.

where are you Mark, they seem to be spreading from the Oxford area south quite quickly

nice shot and a good project to work on

I know I took the wife last weekend to show her, no camera and guess what. One was hoovering and diving behind a building infront of us. when it disappeared I asked if she wanted to go look for it. It bobbed back up and one of those very little dogs was running round yapping.

Made me smirk.:D
It is more in the interests of preservation for me. we should be thankful that they are here.

Simon

Thanks agian, i am in Northants, about 15 or so miles Northampton.

@ Simon, its not a regular thing, this was the first time we put a chicken carcass out on the off chance tbh, we have occasionally thrown out fat from a roast ham for the birds and only once has a kite took it, certainly not often enough to bring them into the garden daily.

I can understand, the first time I saw the ones in Leeds, I was trying to get photos and the chef came out and said he would get food for me. I told him it was ok then as I didn't have time. But now when I have set out to get some pictures stumbled accross the Yorkshire Kites web page and read about the side effects of feeding them :(. sad to think someone would use poison on a beautiful creature. And it means more for use to photo :banana::rolleyes:

Simon

Yeah regular feeding might get them used to feeding from gardens and that could get them a bad rep if they do it in the wrong place, leading to the unthinkable. Believe me they wont get fed regularly in my garden.

Yeah regular feeding might get them used to feeding from gardens and that could get them a bad rep if they do it in the wrong place, leading to the unthinkable. Believe me they wont get fed regularly in my garden.
:D

Very Nice Mark
I see you're just out of Northampton, not sure in which direction but theres a lot around Corby, theres a place round there where they come into roost at dusk, saw 50+ there last week, don't want to put where on a public forum (nothing against members on here, it's more about the non-registered and don't know about motives) but if you want to know where just pm me

Thanks Martyn, i'm not too far from you, Rushden, in fact i used to work in Corby some years ago. I heard there were quite a few over there it wouldn't suprise me if thats where the birds over here originally came from, or the offspring of birds out of Corby.

Mark check the wings as if you look on the Yorkshire site there is a list of where they came from originally and that sounds a great number to try get in one picture.

It's no secret that Fineshade Woods (between Corby and Stamford) was/is used as part of the reintroduction programme and they are spreading out a little bit more each year. I recently learned of one villager that has fed them daily for several years and tried photographing them in his garden. It really does take your breath away when a couple of dozen start swooping down on a small area.

Back