My first roll of b&w film in 40 years

Name
Jon
Edit My Images
Yes
I think the last time I used a roll of B&W film, was probably about forty years ago, or something like that. Been out this morning taking a few photos, struggling to find interesting photo opportunities. It would have suited colour film today, lovely blue sky etc. I am halfway through a roll of 36 exposures, I will probably use the rest up, when I go into the City Centre next week. I really want to get some old grimy buildings, with the last of the film.

Last edited:
I can't imagine using film now ... so long to wait before you bin the images!
I guess that's what instant coffee does for you. :D ;)

I can't imagine using film now ... so long to wait before you bin the images!
I guess that's what instant coffee does for you. :D ;)

Since I have had the film camera filmed up and ready to go.

I have NOT taken a photo of my steaming mug of tea. I have NOT taken a photo of the missus coming out of the bathroom. I have NOT taken a photo of the missus picking her nose. I have NOT taken a photo of the missus eating. I have NOT taken a photo of the missus watching telly.

The missus said to me. " I love you using film, it gives me peace"

Yes I actually did it. I looked at the back of my film camera, after I took the photo. It is a terrible habit, chimping.
:LOL::LOL::LOL:

I stopped chimping on my digital cameras yonks ago, have the screens set not to show images unless I physically press the replay buttons. Not had the itch to false chimp my film cameras as a result.

I stopped chimping on my digital cameras yonks ago, have the screens set not to show images unless I physically press the replay buttons. Not had the itch to false chimp my film cameras as a result.

Good thinking, I will have to turn off my LCD, when I go back to my digital. I never realised how badly I chimped.

I must admit, that lovely mechanical sound when I press the button, really nice and reassuring. Ok yes, it would frighten the life out of anyone within twenty feet of me.

Not sure how they will turn out, being Black and White I have tried my best to get something of interest. Although I am not too sure if they will interest anyone else.

Not sure how they will turn out, being Black and White I have tried my best to get something of interest. Although I am not too sure if they will interest anyone else.

Well I always say "take the shots that interest you or are important to you and if anyone else likes them it's a bonus". Of course if you are entering a comp etc then you have to try and think what would please the most voters...erm well it doesn't seem to work for me as I don't win anything o_O:(

Well I always say "take the shots that interest you or are important to you and if anyone else likes them it's a bonus". Of course if you are entering a comp etc then you have to try and think what would please the most voters...erm well it doesn't seem to work for me as I don't win anything o_O:(
I will have to see how I feel, after I have gotten through my first roll, and gotten the results back. If the results give me a good feel, and a sort of connection, I will probably keep at it, now and again. If however after all that effort, I feel indifferent, I may knock it on the head.

Always had my digitals set to that. Originally because the screens were so tiny that I couldn't see enough to make it worthwhile, now to save as much battery as possible.

When I got back into photography about 20 years ago, it was my first encounter with any form of automation as far as exposure went - hell, my previous revelation had been an in camera meter on my Spotty!!! After a couple of rolls of film, I learned to trust the camera to get it right and after a few more, I knew when it was likely to get it wrong (and by how much!) so I could dial in a little EC. The camera was the F60's younger brother, an F65.

I will have to see how I feel, after I have gotten through my first roll, and gotten the results back. If the results give me a good feel, and a sort of connection, I will probably keep at it, now and again. If however after all that effort, I feel indifferent, I may knock it on the head.

Well you can always say " been there done it" for 2nd time around. ;) but it must be something inside that makes guys want to continue to use a film camera.. Is there a psychiatrist in the house :LOL:

Well you can always say " been there done it" for 2nd time around. ;) but it must be something inside that makes guys want to continue to use a film camera.. Is there a psychiatrist in the house :LOL:

I would like to continue using film, just that there is a cost involved. It has to be better than digital, for me to continue, if it is on a par, then maybe not. Although film certainly is more therapeutically. :)

It has to be better than digital, for me to continue

If Pixel peeping, digi surpassed 35mm film a few years ago, but there are special B\W films (don't know if still available) that can give a digi camera competition but you wouldn't want to use them. So you would have to see if 35mm B\W film (and camera) can offer you anything that digi can't...as you said you could just enjoy handling an old camera and so on.

If Pixel peeping, digi surpassed 35mm film a few years ago, but there are special B\W films (don't know if still available) that can give a digi camera competition but you wouldn't want to use them. So you would have to see if 35mm B\W film (and camera) can offer you anything that digi can't...as you said you could just enjoy handling an old camera and so on.
Ohhh I don't know, I have a few boxes of Kodak Technical Pan 4x5, that stuff is stunning. Recently posted a waterfall picture in the "show us" thread with a 6000x4000 ish crop taken from the middle of it.

For me, I got so much pleasure shooting a film camera and was so excited to get the photos back it didn’t really matter what they looked like!

Ohhh I don't know, I have a few boxes of Kodak Technical Pan 4x5, that stuff is stunning. Recently posted a waterfall picture in the "show us" thread with a 6000x4000 ish crop taken from the middle of it.

I think he was referring to 35mm film vs digital.

For me, I got so much pleasure shooting a film camera and was so excited to get the photos back it didn’t really matter what they looked like!
So far it has given me a little bit of pleasure, and that is without seeing the results. Maybe the best bit is yet to come. :)

So far it has given me a little bit of pleasure, and that is without seeing the results. Maybe the best bit is yet to come. :)

Some here also get the enjoyment of developing their film and some still like printing negs in a darkroom, and I suppose some digi guys enjoy sorting through 1000s of images on a computer :eek:

Some here also get the enjoyment of developing their film and some still like printing negs in a darkroom, and I suppose some digi guys enjoy sorting through 1000s of images on a computer :eek:

If I had a spare room that could be used as a darkroom, I think I would try developing some B&W. I know it can be done on a budget for a few hundred quid or so. If I thought I would enjoy it, and not see it as a fuddy duddy faff, I probably would. Just lack of space. I know some can work in space the size of a shoe box, but I am so clumsy I need plenty of space.

If I had a spare room that could be used as a darkroom, I think I would try developing some B&W. I know it can be done on a budget for a few hundred quid or so. If I thought I would enjoy it, and not see it as a fuddy duddy faff, I probably would. Just lack of space. I know some can work in space the size of a shoe box, but I am so clumsy I need plenty of space.

Well for dev film takes no space at all....if you want to do this in the future (assuming you haven't done it before) we'll tell you how to do it and it's very simple.
My first film I dev, I transferred the film from the camera to the dev tank under the bed clothes.....h'mm can't remember if the negs came out covered in nasty things from the bed :D

Well for dev film takes no space at all....if you want to do this in the future (assuming you haven't done it before) we'll tell you how to do it and it's very simple.
My first film I dev, I transferred the film from the camera to the dev tank under the bed clothes.....h'mm can't remember if the negs came out covered in nasty things from the bed :D

I was waiting for that, hardly any space needed. LOL ;)

Depending on the price of chemicals also. :thinking:

Well if you want to put a price on a hobby ;) when you think of it people spend £1000s eating out, smoking, booze, etc etc

When I read the Following, it just so daunting.

Mixing Your Chemicals

1. Buy your chemicals and containers.
  2. Dilute the Developer.
  3. Mix the Blix.
  4. Mix the Stabilizer.
Loading Your Film

1. Buy a development tank.
  2. Buy a changing bag.
  3. Remove your film from the canister.
  4. Cut the film from the spool.
  5. Spool the film onto your reel.
  6. Load the reel into the development tank.
Developing Your Film

1. Soak your Developer and Blix containers in warm water.
  2. Pre-soak your development tank.
  3. Pour your Developer into the development tank.
  4. Pour your Blixer into the tank.
  5. Pour your Stabilizer into the tank.
Drying the Film

1. Take the film out of the tank and reels.
  2. Remove excess water.
  3. Hang it to dry.
  4. Cut the film and store.

Plus, where would you store all this stuff? If I had the space, I just might give it a go.

Mixing Your Chemicals

2. Dilute the Developer.
  3. Mix the Blix.
  4. Mix the Stabilizer.
Loading Your Film

2. Buy a changing bag.
Developing Your Film

Drying the Film

2. Remove excess water.
  3. Hang it to dry.

:D Well I can add line by line what to do getting dressed in the morning:-

1. get out of bed
2. go to the bathroom

Mixing Your Chemicals

2. Dilute the Developer.
  3. Mix the Blix.
  4. Mix the Stabilizer.
Loading Your Film

2. Buy a changing bag.
Developing Your Film

Drying the Film

2. Remove excess water.
  3. Hang it to dry.

Almost any task can be made to feel daunting when dissected in such detail. I bought a Rondinax tank, so that dispenses with steps 2-5 of loading (did buy a changing bag, much much later, for other reasons). I only dev black and white film, that changes (and greatly simplifies) the dev phase. The drying phase... well, obviously, but it's not a hassle!

(There's also the Lab-box, see this thread: https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/a-new-type-of-rondinax.637565/ )

Plus, where would you store all this stuff? If I had the space, I just might give it a go.

All of my dev stuff except the 5-litre bottle of de-ionised water (I know, cheapskate!) goes into one of those blue plastic cubes about 15" to a side, goes under the stairs.

One thing that IS likely is complaints about storing dangerous chemicals in the house. This, despite repeted assurances that the contents of the cupboard under the sink are much, much more dangerous!

A changing bag... fold up and put in your wardrobe or wherever
A bottle of dev liquid and a bottle of fixer.... label and store under the sink or wherever
A dev tank for 35mm can be quite small it can be like about 5" dia bottle with a screwed top, when dry you can put in a plastic bag and that can go anywhere.
You can wash the negs from any trace of chemicals in the sink or bathroom
To dry the negs after dev would need the best place to stop dust sticking and that is usually the bathroom and you would hang the strip of film up to dry and hope no one in the family comes in and sprinkles talc powder over themselves. or use an electric toothbrush spraying tooth paste everywhere o_O:eek::(

[black & white caveat]
If you assume the cost of developing a film at a lab is around £7/roll (inc postage) you recoup the costs of developing your own after around 20 rolls of film. (Assuming £100 for all thenon consumables then chemistry on top of that)

Non consumables:
- Dark bag to get the film out (can use cupboard or under bed sheets)
- Film can opener to get the film out of the can (I use a bottle opener)
- Scissors to cut the fiilm
- Developing tank & spiral
- Thermometer
- Neg drying clips (I use clothes pegs and a coat hanger hung off the kitchen door with one of those plastic clothes drying things that attached to a door)
- Squeegee (can do without this)
- 3 Measuring jugs with up to 1l graduations
- 1 measuring jug for very small amounts of liquid (up to 25ml - I use a medecine bottle lid)
- Timer (I use the built in timer on the Massive Dev Chart App)

Consumables
- Developer (HC-110 and Rodinal are super super cheap per roll)
- Stop bath (some people use water or water+vinegar mix)
- Fixer

I have a small cupboard in the kitchen where I have a 1l bottle of mixed up stop bath, a 1l bottle of mixed up fixer, my undiluted developer, fixer and stop, my 2 developing tanks, and a sandwich box with thermometer, squeegee, clothes pegs and one of those medicine bottle lids that's got graduations up to 25ml. I'm quite lucky. My wife has a crap ton of stuff in the kitchen so me asking for half the smallest cupboard was a no brainer :) I keep the dark bag and spirals in the office because they dry out quicker. Wet spirals are no joke!

[/black & white caveat]

Last edited:
[black & white caveat]
If you assume the cost of developing a film at a lab is around £7/roll (inc postage) you recoup the costs of developing your own after around 20 rolls of film. (Assuming £100 for all thenon consumables then chemistry on top of that)

Non consumables:
- Dark bag to get the film out (can use cupboard or under bed sheets)
- Film can opener to get the film out of the can (I use a bottle opener)
- Scissors to cut the fiilm
- Developing tank & spiral
- Thermometer
- Neg drying clips (I use clothes pegs and a coat hanger hung off the kitchen door with one of those plastic clothes drying things that attached to a door)
- Squeegee (can do without this)
- 3 Measuring jugs with up to 1l graduations
- 1 measuring jug for very small amounts of liquid (up to 25ml - I use a medecine bottle lid)
- Timer (I use the built in timer on the Massive Dev Chart App)

Consumables
- Developer (HC-110 and Rodinal are super super cheap per roll)
- Stop bath (some people use water or water+vinegar mix)
- Fixer

I have a small cupboard in the kitchen where I have a 1l bottle of mixed up stop bath, a 1l bottle of mixed up fixer, my undiluted developer, fixer and stop, my 2 developing tanks, and a sandwich box with thermometer, squeegee, clothes pegs and one of those medicine bottle lids that's got graduations up to 25ml. I'm quite lucky. My wife has a crap ton of stuff in the kitchen so me asking for half the smallest cupboard was a no brainer :) I keep the dark bag and spirals in the office because they dry out quicker. Wet spirals are no joke!

[/black & white caveat]

Re the film can opener, if you're careful at rewind you leave the leader out of the canister and no need to crack the canister then.

As above, all of my development materials are stored on one shelf under the sink apart from the changing bag. I load the film into the bag on the dining room table and develop in the kitchen sink, takes about 20 minutes. There's a definite magic to seeing a roll of film emerge from the tank with images on them.:D

Not sure that the F60 can be set to leave the leader sticking out of the cannister. Check the manual, John! (Available online.)

Not sure that the F60 can be set to leave the leader sticking out of the cannister. Check the manual, John! (Available online.)
Automatic rewind? Not familiar with Nikon "modern" SLRs my experience of Nikon is limited to FM, F2 and F3s I was a Canon shooter back along until they went AF and Digital but that's a long story for another time.

Last edited:
IMG_2817.JPG
Managed to get out to photograph Runcorn bridge and surrounding buildings, got a few photos before it started getting overcast. Started to absolutely pour down, so I stopped after about an hour. Good job the bridge is only five minutes away, back and enjoying a nice cuppa. Nearly at the end of the roll.

Developing is hardly difficult, and is definitely not a chore, the anticipation of the end results is priceless.
As for storage, I have one small kitchen cupboard where I keep everything.

Back