My first selfie - be kind!

Edit My Images
No
So here goes. This is my first self portrait. I am pretty self conscious when it comes to having my picture taken and much prefer to be behind the lens! This was taken with a 40D & 50mm in my bedroom. There was a flash behind me on the floor pointing up, another into silver umbrella camera right and a reflector camera left. I then did a mono conversion and some tweaks in PP.

Self Portrait 001 by Ferj Photography, on Flickr

A lot of tension in the face and with arms crossed

You need some separation from the background

Thanks! I'm quite serious glad that came across....! Actually I really struggle to relax in front of a camera so hopefully the next will be better :)

Re separation I think I needed the rear light higher but I have no light stands or tripods so might need to invest :)

There is real intensity in your eyes your looking right though the camera...it looks like the stare a dad give a guy that comes to date his little girl :eek: I'd personally like to see the power of the light dropped back a little :thinking: that's probably just me though I prefer the darker style if your going to have such a 1000 yard stare to give it a sniper in the shadows feel...I hope that makes some kind of sense

Matt that made me laugh! Maybe I need a lot more practice at selfies :)

I think I increased the exposure as it was too dark, maybe I should have left it! In my defence I didn't have a lot of time this evening, might try again over the next couple of days and post some different ones!

Really appreciate the input though :)

other than the very stern expression its not a bad effort. Agree about the separation from the background the hair is completely lost in it.

Steve

What I see is the main light is way too low. And the reflector/fill light would work better on camera axis.

The nose shadow should go in a downwards direction. Lifting 2-3 feet would make it better.

Some great and helpful critique! Really appreciate you all taking the time to look & comment. Will try and take it all on board for my next attempt! :)

There is real intensity in your eyes your looking right though the camera...it looks like the stare a dad give a guy that comes to date his little girl :eek: I'd personally like to see the power of the light dropped back a little :thinking: that's probably just me though I prefer the darker style if your going to have such a 1000 yard stare to give it a sniper in the shadows feel...I hope that makes some kind of sense

This is exactly what I thought. Eyes are so intense I think the overall feel needed to be more dark and shadowy (technical terms obviously!) to suit. Though the more selfies you do you might end up looking more relaxed ;)

I like it other than the lack of definition on your chin, leading to a bit of a Gail Tyldseley jawline. Look up some of Pete Hurley's (free) tutorials to address this.

I like it other than the lack of definition on your chin, leading to a bit of a Gail Tyldseley jawline. Look up some of Pete Hurley's (free) tutorials to address this.

Yep it's all in the jaw line as Peter would say.

I had never heard of Peter Hurley until tonight. He's pretty inspiring, thanks for the heads up (see what I did there! :exit: )

Back