Edit My Images
Yes
Shes already my favourtie subject :)

IMG_6178.jpg

IMG_6196a.jpg

IMG_0321.jpg

IMG_0294.jpg

Any suggestions to make them better?

You've got a really photogenic little girl there.

A few tips then. Firstly, on a composition level, try to avoid cropping in too close to the subjects face. For example, you'll rarely see professional portrait photographers cropping off the top of the subjects head like you have in the fourth shot here.

Secondly, think about your background before you take a shot, ensuring there are as few distracting elements as possible. Maybe try some shots with the background being a neutral coloured, painted wall.

Also, if you can get your girl to be looking either at the camera, or someone behind you as you take the shot, then you'll be able to portray more of a sense of interaction between you and her.

thank you so much for your replys, I will take these on board thankyou :)

cant wait to take some more today... we are going to the park ! :)

Last edited:
as you said your going to the park today, another tip would be get as low as possible ,nothing worse than pictures looking down at a child like some sort of giant. hope that helps, mike.(y)

Last edited:
thanks, the park trip did not go as well as planned lol, she was too interested in other things and shes a nighmare to keep still and she was whining too so not very attractive faces lol.

I sometimes like shooting from above and think it can be quite effective... is it an absolute no no then? lol

thanks, the park trip did not go as well as planned lol, she was too interested in other things and shes a nighmare to keep still and she was whining too so not very attractive faces lol.

I sometimes like shooting from above and think it can be quite effective... is it an absolute no no then? lol

I wouldn't say it's an absolute no-no. For some shots it may work, just don't make it a habit - the majority of your shots should be at eye-level to her.

Last edited:
I'm always really warey of rules and guides. There really are no rules for good portraits. To me the formula of a good shot is like a total number. It doesn't matter what you do to get there, if the last number in the sum is right.

Shoot from low, from high, crop in stupidly tight, have the subject as a teeny spec. Even shoot the back of someone's head if it conveys the feeling of the moment you want to capture.

Above all, have fun doing it. :)

I'm always really warey of rules and guides. There really are no rules for good portraits. To me the formula of a good shot is like a total number. It doesn't matter what you do to get there, if the last number in the sum is right.

Shoot from low, from high, crop in stupidly tight, have the subject as a teeny spec. Even shoot the back of someone's head if it conveys the feeling of the moment you want to capture.

Above all, have fun doing it. :)

great advice, thanks (y)

Back