My First studio portrait

Edit My Images
No
Hey guys, done my first studio portrait about 2 weeks ago and thought I would share here for a bit of C&C.

Ann_0001.jpg

Ann_0002.jpg

Ann_0003.jpg

Ann_0004.jpg

The thirst one below is one of my favorite but her eye mascara seems to be darker on her right eye. But all I was happy. All C&C welcome.

2 and 3 suit me
in 2 some cloning of the lower left chair part and the tuft of hair sticking past the sitters left leg
crop the legs just till you touch the elbows but not quite
3 for me is okeydokey and reminds me of a certain E Taylor...;)

cheers
geof

Last edited:
For a better catch light in the eyes, try having two front key light sources, e.g. A speedlite offset from octa/softbox key. Very complimenting and adds nice sparkle to the eyes!

Back lights are a little too hot on her skin on 1 & 2 but I like them. Good effort!

James

Thanks for the tips guys, all taken onboard.

Back lights are a little too hot on her skin on 1 & 2 but I like them. Good effort!

James

Can you explain what you mean by that. (Fairly new to studio photography)

Apologies for the delayed response -

"Too hot", the lights are burning out detail on the skin. You can double check how much it's burning out on histogram notch on Lightroom. Or check as you are going along in camera by turning on highlight clipping warning.

Also, if you've got a 5in1 Lastolite reflector and composition allows, try placing it just underneath the models face out of shot as this is a effective way of bringing in some extra light.

Hope this has been remotely useful!

James

Back