Beginner My first sunset shots :)

Not a bad first effort, some nice clouds. I would crop quite a bit of the dark fore ground putting the horizon on the bottom third. There's nothing happening in there, it's just a dark empty space.

Yes I find those much better, but that's only my opinion. Someone else may have different opinions. In the top ones the horizons are in the middle of the frame with a lot of empty black space below. I try to keep the horizon on one of the 3rds and as most of the activity in the frame is the clouds then the bottom 3rd is the choice removing most of the empty black space below.

Yes I find those much better, but that's only my opinion. Someone else may have different opinions. In the top ones the horizons are in the middle of the frame with a lot of empty black space below. I try to keep the horizon on one of the 3rds and as most of the activity in the frame is the clouds then the bottom 3rd is the choice removing most of the empty black space below.
that makes sense thank you :)

These are a good start to sunset shots. The dark foreground doesn't help these shots much though I'm afraid. The sky is great but you could do with some foreground interest to hold the attention a little bit.

Judging by how dark the foreground is and how well the sky has come out, i'm going to assume you've exposed for the sky and not used any ND Grad filters. It would be worth investing in a small set of these as it enables you to control the exposure better and bring out the foreground whilst still allowing the sky to have those great colours as you've captured so well here.

Hi Kristin, I love the warmth of the orange glow and the sense of depth in the clouds. You might find that you could reprocess to bring out a little more detain in both foreground and clouds by applying gradients in software. Where you have a very dark foreground and detailed, interesting sky it's advantageous to reduce the amount of foreground so that the bright horizon runs a third or a fifth the way up and the image becomes effectively a skyscape.

Back