My first Swan shot

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
Yes
original.aspx

Any thoughts?

The exposure is spot on, but I would've tried to get the swan on the left of the shot, so it's moving into the frame, makes it feel a bit more balanced to my mind.

Did you use fill flash on this?

wow, I like it, but I agree with the left of the frame comment :)

Thanks Marik and Guandi. That is a good point about the positioning of the swan, I'm fairly new to photography so I didn't even consider that. I'm afraid it has been quite cropped, the original shot was landscape with a lot more wasted space to the left. I used an external flash, I have been working hard at getting blue skyes rather than white ones!

i like this, but might work better if you have an area of space that the swan is heading into, makes for a more dynamic shot

Thanks guys, it makes a nice change for me to point the camera at something that isn't one of my two kids. I was happy with this shot, usually I would have taken it it with much less DOF, but kept the aperture small and think it works better for it.

Good advice about the positioning of the swan, thanks.

used an external flash, I have been working hard at getting blue skyes rather than white ones!

I feel for you on that point. I've had more than my fair share of blown out skies and have just started taking my Sigma 500 Super out with the camera even on bright sunny days like we have had recently. Sure does make a huge difference using fill flash

Very crisp shot with excellent exposure detail ... potentially a very nice pic ... if the framing had been just as pointed out earlier ... :D

Also love the way the street light mimics the Swan's posture too ... well done Peter ... (y)

:p[

Very nice shot. exspure is bang on, detail is there, the angle is great looking to the sky with the reflection of the duck and houses and the colours in the house's are nice aswell balances the scene out very nicely. Its been said about putting the swan to the left so it can move into the space, but we've all done that :thinking: ..................I still do that!
Great shot, I'd be well happy with that.

Back