My first time shooting kids - opinions needed with pics

Edit My Images
Yes
Today, for the first time, I took a few pictures of a friends kid, who was a great poser and thought it was hilarious and demanded to see the pictures straight after on the camera (he's only 2!)

As a little surprised I want to get some printed and framed to her. Most I've converted to black and white and adjusted the levels a tiny bit, but I was just wondering what ones to get printed and if they are okay, need any other stuff doing, etc.

Picture 1:

n by kabooi, on Flickr

Picture 2

DSC_2993new by kabooi, on Flickr

Picture 3 - same as above, more contrast - which ?

DSC_2993 copy by kabooi, on Flickr

Picture 4

DSC_2978newbw by kabooi, on Flickr

Picture 5 - slightly brighter, same as above, but which?

DSC_2978 copy by kabooi, on Flickr

Pic six

DSC_2976colour new_jjedjjited-1 by kabooi, on Flickr

Any advice would be great.

Just a couple of basic pointers,
Look out for what's in the background, you have things growing out if his head in some and lots of distractions in others.
It a also usually better to get down to their height to shoot.
I can't comment on the lighting as I'm on a tablet and the screen is poor.
But good first effort, just remember look at all the picture not just the subject.

If you know about dof then they could of used a shallower dof to blur out the BG stuff.

Just a couple of basic pointers,
Look out for what's in the background, you have things growing out if his head in some and lots of distractions in others.
It a also usually better to get down to their height to shoot.
I can't comment on the lighting as I'm on a tablet and the screen is poor.
But good first effort, just remember look at all the picture not just the subject.

If you know about dof then they could of used a shallower dof to blur out the BG stuff.

Why the heck do I always think of these things after I've taken the shot? I tell myself, as do others, all the blimmin time!:p I guess I was in a hurry, but next time I'll be more direct with him and position him better (hopefully that will be easy..ha!)

Apart from that....any others?

Black and white is your friend here I feel but as said, backgrounds and too 'top-down' on the wee guy!

Thanks for the comment Steve. I will def remember that he's only a little thing and adjust. I can see it now....ah I've messed up. Maybe I could pop round again. Hm. I dont want to print something off they're not going to be happy with.

As above, get to the subjects eye level.
With these I would leave them b&w & crop into headshots
To highlight the cheeky smile & nice eyes :)

Cheers snoop :) I will see if that looks any better.

Do you think I should print them out though or just scrap 'em, dont know when im going to get a next time you see.

As has been said, he's cute, which you've captured, his mum will love them. But you have to be more selective about backgrounds.

And whilst the general 'rule' is to get down to their level, it's a matter of 'what do you want the photo to show'? Sometimes shooting a child from above gives the right 'feel' but it should be considered, rather than just shot from your natural position.

People love that overexpose skin until it's just light... I don't like that style much. I like to see skin texture, but I'm also not a fan of dirty...

Top down is nice if there's a nothing background... but maybe not this much top down :) Perspective is everything...

Maybe get into his world a little lower and capture'em playin, kids are hard to get still in front of a camera.

Back