My first tree Crapper

Name
Rich
Edit My Images
Yes
No you read it right. Spent an hour down the stream this afternoon checking on the KF`s. Again just a couple of flashes of the KF going up and down but not stopping on the perch. I shall not dismiss it though as the young wont be far about. Anyway whilst peering out, I spotted a flash of white land on a tree about 30ft away. As soon as it landed I recognised what it was by the pics of it posted on TP.

Now who said they were quick :cautious: Bloody understatement of the year I think. It was not hanging about, so having the camera set on the perch I swang it around to the tree and had to just go with the settings that were already dialed in, check te exif :LOL: Not the best, but it is nice to know I have some living in and around the area. The last creeper shot shows off how well the cammo works for them. After it scarpered I then spotted the ferns moving about, and just managed to get a little jenny Wren. this too was at about the same distance, again quality wise not the best but a natural one I think, I have not really bothered too much on the crops either as they are losing quality enough as it is. Thanks for looking.

IMG_6521.jpg

IMG_6525.jpg

IMG_6527.jpg

IMG_6528.jpg

IMG_6572.jpg

Last edited:
About time as well Rich :clap: ... :D anyway they are indeed quick, and well camouflaged, best way to locate them is learn their call, as you will hear them before you see them (y)

Forgot to say ... nice shot of the tree (y)

Well caught Rich - never seen on but from these angles they are well hidden on the bg.

About time as well Rich :clap: ... :D anyway they are indeed quick, and well camouflaged, best way to locate them is learn their call, as you will hear them before you see them (y)

Forgot to say ... nice shot of the tree (y)
Cheers Martyn, I have now the utmost respect for the excellent shots of them posted on here (y)
Well caught Rich - never seen on but from these angles they are well hidden on the bg.

Thanks Tom

Well done Rich. The start of a long pursuit to get these little blighters a) in the viewfinder and b) kept in the viewfinder as they dart about like a darting thing :D

One little technique that may work is to watch where the bird lands and then position the camera's view about 2-3 feet above because invariable they start at the bottom of a trunk/large branch and move upwards. Just pull back a bit on the focal length if you have a zoom. Then just wait till it moves in to frame, press the shutter and hey presto....... bloody thing is too quick for you :D Seriously it can work sometimes with a bit of luck

Last edited:
Well done Rich. The start of a long pursuit to get these little blighters a) in the viewfinder and b) kept in the viewfinder as they dart about like a darting thing :D

One little technique that may work is to watch where the bird lands and then position the camera's view about 2-3 feet above because invariable they start at the bottom of a trunk/large branch and move upwards. Just pull back a bit on the focal length if you have a zoom. Then just wait till it moves in to frame, press the shutter and hey presto....... bloody thing is too quick for you :D Seriously it can work sometimes with a bit of luck

Thanks for the advice Nigel (y) I was on the other side of the stream so that was my first problem. Although I can get to the other side and set myself up, the only part of the tree that will ever be in decent light will be the bit which it is on in the picture. Plenty of trees about so I will just have to find one that will be in some decent light and just sit tight hoping. Thanks again.

It's damn difficult when you have'nt got that red breast to focus on :shrug:

:thinking: On the up side they are pretty tricky customers

(y) Keep up the good work

Regards

Richard

p.s going to check out new kingfisher site i will keep you posted

please note to anyone reading this it is not near the nest

For a grab shot you did real good Rich, these guys are really quick. The ones I see are gone before I can get a camera anywhere near them. You should be happy with them (y)
Thanks for the pics and the story :)

Dunno what you are complaining about, at least you have a range of shots! With me it's "Ooh is that a... Oh it's gone" before I can even move the camera.

Dunno what you are complaining about, at least you have a range of shots! With me it's "Ooh is that a... Oh it's gone" before I can even move the camera.

I feel your pain Donna!!!!

flipping good for grabbers there mate, well done!!

Aint complaining what we blokes do best Donna? :LOL:
I feel your pain Donna!!!!

flipping good for grabbers there mate, well done!!
Thank you Tara, would be nice to get a few closer shots.

I still haven't seen one yet, so for me they are great, just a shame it didn't pick a green tree to crawl up.

Back