My first trip to the Mach Loop ...

Absolutely stunning series. Go to get up there one day myself.

Great shots and variety(y)

GC

Thanks for the positive comments guys!

Excellent set. You got a good mix of aircraft, a bit of a result for your first visit. I got exactly sod all on my first day at The Loop. Still went back though. It’s quite addictive..

I know what you mean, Wednesday was non-stop, Thursday was rained off and we had a few movements Friday morning. The most gutting thing for me was seeing 6 F15's buzz my car 10 minutes after leaving!

Already planning the long (250 mile!) trek back!

Awesome thats a bit of luck some nice variety. I must get up there someday.

Great set of shots. Can you tell us what the actual experience was liked ? I dlove to go, but its probably 3-4 hours from me with guarantee of seeing anything....

Thank you for the positive comments :)

Great set of shots. Can you tell us what the actual experience was liked ? I dlove to go, but its probably 3-4 hours from me with guarantee of seeing anything....

To be honest, it's all a big gamble - I planned 3 days down there and the only real busy day was Wednesday - we had a couple of passes on Friday but that was it.

I made sure I did some research on locations etc beforehand, I also purchased some walking boots and a pop up tent - the trek up is fairly demanding and can get pretty slippy. The tent was a great idea as the weather changed within minutes, the area almost was in it's own microclimate!

Great action Simon, much better than I did on my first venture there.
To be honest, I just watched for the first few passes...
Lovely topsides from Cad West, I enjoy the undersides from Cad East (saves the mountaineering too!)

Thanks Reheat. I did venture upto Cad West however the weather was atrocious!

I'll probably be back in the Winter though - the trek up will be a lot easier!

Simon

what on earth is the "Mach Loop". never heard of it. May I suggest you make an effort to explain where and what you are on about before posting any pictures

Simon

what on earth is the "Mach Loop". never heard of it. May I suggest you make an effort to explain where and what you are on about before posting any pictures

Everyone else seems to know what it is, may I suggest YOU make an effort to Google before posting?

well I have never heard of it and I bet not many other have either if not interested in aircraft. Looks as if it is somewhere in the Wales area but the link doesn't say.

Last edited:
Mach loop is on my radar for doing one day soon! Will have to sort a day off soon

well I have never heard of it and I bet not many other have either if not interested in aircraft. Looks as if it is somewhere in the Wales area but the link doesn't say.

Hi Realspeed

I'll go to the effort for you -

http://bfy.tw/JobX

The full address (including postcode) should be on the right.

Cheers
Simon

One of a series of military Low Flying Areas (LFA) in the UK.

LFA 7 includes designated routings in the hills near Machynlleth, Powys.

GC

Back