My First Wasp

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
Didn't manage to capture any wasps last year (not sure I even saw any) This one didn't hang around for very long either. Shot with Tamron 90mm and 20mm extention tube.

Wasp by the milster, on Flickr

Last edited:
Sorry if this offends some, but I dispatched a wasp nest this afternoon, using only a can of wasp spray as self defence.
Do wasps serve a purpose other than spoiling alfresco dining?

Good picture!

Nice. Focus is in the right place and some nice detail

Sorry if this offends some, but I dispatched a wasp nest this afternoon, using only a can of wasp spray as self defence.
Do wasps serve a purpose other than spoiling alfresco dining?

Good picture!

Apart from pollinating plants and eating garden pests you mean. Fascinating creatures to watch if you'd given them the chance:(

Nice image Gary:)

Nice shot, the detail in the mouth parts is great!

Even though I'm scared witless of wasps I do understand they serve a purpose and have as much right to be here as we have. Unless they posed a danger I'd leave them be., especially given they have had a hard couple of years.

The wasps were making a nest in my garden shed, so if they stayed, getting the lawn mower out would have been quite risky if the colony had grown. Dispatching them in the early stages, with the numbers low, was the best outcome, for me, my wife and the wasps. If their numbers had grown, more wasp-death might have occurred. Yes, agreed, they have just as much a right to life, but we have to carry on, otherwise the grass could have been 6' tall and I'd have snakes and wild boar to deal with as well!

Back