My Focus ST170 Estate light painted

Name
Mathew
Edit My Images
Yes
I had half hour spare this evening so I decided to get practicing my light painting

here is the result of a few pictures blended together

C+C most welcome to help me improve

Not bad, worK on the light coverage, as the top of the bonnet is alsmot dark.

Also there is a thick dark band around the car where I take it you have blended the images together, with the paintbrush and masks.

Take a look online for tips on using the pen tool in Photoshop as it allows you to make much more close and accurate selections for when merging lots of images.

Didn't realise they did an ST estate - nice.

If you blend images, they idea is to take a several of each of the various parts, so you can blend. As mentioned the bonnet is dark, the rear wheel is lit more than the front, the white line along the side from the lighting source isn't right (light is low) as the natural line to be lit would be that line along the bodywork.

I've done similar in one shot. Flashgun with softbox or brolly to the side, flashgun with brolly to the front left of the car high. Put the flash guns on low power, long exposure (trial and error), manually trigger and manically run around filling in with another light source. I use a led lenser torch with a focusable beam and adjustable light output.

If you are going to use a long exposure and light paint, think about just lighting the outline, the shape and the rest will fall in (or you cheat and blend others). Nothing wrong with checking on camera at the time, just don't move it :)

Angle of the car is good, I'd put the lights on next time (you get a nice red glow at the rear and the headlights stand out). I've never bothered about cropping out my numberplate, but if it bothers you, remove it first, or add a homemade one Focus ST over the top.

thanks for the tips guys, I will be sure to take this into account on my next outing...

Back