My Garden Flowers

Name
Andy or Dij
Edit My Images
Yes
I have decided this year to catalogue most of my garden flowers wherever possible with photos of them. Not having a macro lens, my kit lens will have to suffice! Looking for some critique, good or bad....thanks for looking Andy.

Thrift......Armeria maritima

9151953850_82bf866dbd_c.jpg
[/url]ndyordij/9151953850/]
9151953850_82bf866dbd_c.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Scabious

9043775026_9ce45c7b31_c.jpg
[/url]otos/andyordij/9043775026/]
9043775026_9ce45c7b31_c.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Foxglove....Digitalis purpurea "Alba"

9148505043_eecd432413_c.jpg
[/url]hotos/andyordij/9148505043/]
9148505043_eecd432413_c.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Hi Andy,

Good luck with the cataloguing and nothing at all wrong with using your kit lens. For these type of shots I don't think you need to get super-close up anyway.

I think 1 and 2 are lovely.
Great detail in the main flowers and soft, dreamy backgrounds to put them into context. The crop at the bottom of no.2 is perhaps a little too tight for me though. Could perhaps do with some more space.

I'm not quite so keen on the third though.
The bend in the foxglove seems to coincide with the transition from sharp to oof which looks a bit odd and the background isn't quite so clean.
Perhaps this one would work better for getting in a bit closer and just focusing on a couple of individual flower heads.

I like the composition of number 3, but you clipped the edge of the flower tubes on the right. Another flower spike in the rear of the shot would have helped balance the image too.

There is a nice cluster of three tubes including the one you clipped that you could shoot up close. Try and get the focus on the stamens in the center of one and then focus on the center of the group and see which works best.

Happy shooting!

Hi David......The answer is yes and no.....My garden is quite small and setting it up can be very awkward so i do not always use it. It's a kind of controlled wild garden in places with a large wildlife pond, bog gardens and nesting habitats for birds etc....Over 100 sparrows last year were counted and i had a mallard nest with 8 ducklings this year for the first time.
Andy

Hi David......The answer is yes and no.....My garden is quite small and setting it up can be very awkward so i do not always use it. It's a kind of controlled wild garden in places with a large wildlife pond, bog gardens and nesting habitats for birds etc....Over 100 sparrows last year were counted and i had a mallard nest with 8 ducklings this year for the first time.
Andy

Quite a small garden with a large wildlife pond, bog gardens and space for over 100 Sparrows and nesting Mallards?

Wish my garden was as small as yours then. :LOL:

Good luck with take 2 mate.

Cheers.

Sorry Dave that came out wrong.....My back garden is 10mts wide by 15mts long and wildlife section takes up about 60% of it and about 60 or so of the sparrows roost and nest in the front and back gardens....and the mallard is an idiot because Rutland Water is a mile away!! ....Andy

Back