My Gigapixel Moon

Edit My Images
Yes
This is an 8x upscaled picture of the moon taken with my 70-300mm L lens on my Canon 1Ds MkII.
The original was quite small so I thought I'd try AI Gigapixel and this is the result:

by Albert Hurwood, on Flickr

I cropped the original then put it through AI Gigapixel 3 times because my Graphics card won't go beyond a 200% upscale without crashing.

The resulting image was about 7000x5000 pixels.

There is evidence of movement on the image - whether from me or the moon I don't know but will definitely be trying this again

This is equivalent to using a 2400mm lens!

Hope you didn't pay too much for the software.

Here's one from my crappy little M43 body bunged on a telescope.

Moon Mono
by Terence Rees, on Flickr

I haven't bought it yet but at £90 or so I certainly will be - I've tried it on other subjects and it works perfectly.

And I'm not an astrophotographer so have no need for a £500 telescope so I'm quite happy with my result.

Now it's just a "7000x5000px" out of focus photo of the moon submitted to a forum at 1024px :D
As an example of the quality of image this software produces, what we see here is the worst advert possible for this software.
@petersmart
The fact you’re happy with it pulls the rug out from under your argument that you’ve discovered the future of photography.

When we all said your methods were flawed? If this is an example to prove people wrong.... you failed

I haven't bought it yet but at £90 or so I certainly will be - I've tried it on other subjects and it works perfectly.

And I'm not an astrophotographer so have no need for a £500 telescope so I'm quite happy with my result.

£90?

Okaaaaaaaay.

I'll stick to MY 2400mm EFL curved mirror method.

Unless you are going to be printing huge images I don't see the point in spending £90 just to upsize your images for the sake of it.

And, if you are planning to print huge images, you need to feed it decent images in the first place. A bit pointless upsizing and printing a huge out of focus / blurry picture of the moon.

As an example of the quality of image this software produces, what we see here is the worst advert possible for this software.
@petersmart
The fact you’re happy with it pulls the rug out from under your argument that you’ve discovered the future of photography.

When we all said your methods were flawed? If this is an example to prove people wrong.... you failed

Perhaps before you slag someone off you should discover their real intent
In this case, as I said, I wasn't trying to prove anything it was just an experiment with an image I took some time ago.

And I wasn't trying to prove anyone wrong about anything - if you read the post I never said anything like that!

And I'm happy with the fact that, to me at least, it does show what is becoming possible.with this type of software.

And I have used this software on many other images with extremely good results and wasn't trying to advertise it - I was just using it.

Unless you are going to be printing huge images I don't see the point in spending £90 just to upsize your images for the sake of it.

And, if you are planning to print huge images, you need to feed it decent images in the first place. A bit pointless upsizing and printing a huge out of focus / blurry picture of the moon.

No I don't suppose you do get the point.

Perhaps before you slag someone off you should discover their real intent
In this case, as I said, I wasn't trying to prove anything it was just an experiment with an image I took some time ago.

And I wasn't trying to prove anyone wrong about anything - if you read the post I never said anything like that!

And I'm happy with the fact that, to me at least, it does show what is becoming possible.with this type of software.

And I have used this software on many other images with extremely good results and wasn't trying to advertise it - I was just using it.
Ok.

You’re happy with it. I can’t think of anyone else who would be. I’m not slagging you off, I’m just saying that the results shown are pants, you know they’re pants, but still claim that the software is capable of amazing results.

What was your point in posting this? I can’t remember anyone else ever posting an image they knew was a failure that wasn’t asking for help to put it right.

It can’t add more data than there is in the original file. Gigapixel must use interpolation to fill in the blanks to increase the file size.

The moon is not a good subject to extole the supposed benefits of software of this type. The “seeing” may not have been good that night for a start.

Last edited:
It's not out of focus, but running it through this upscaling software has wrecked whatever image quality was there. It's a very odd looking image, I can see where the software has made a best guess at what to fill in to make the image bigger. I honestly don't see how this kind of thing can work. As others have said, it cannot add information that wasn't there in the original file, and it's just using interpolation to make a guess at what colour to fill in the additional pixels it creates. No matter how many times you use buzzwords like AI, it's not adding anything to the image, only taking away detail and then making that bigger.

Hope you didn't pay too much for the software.

Here's one from my crappy little M43 body bunged on a telescope.

Moon Mono by Terence Rees, on Flickr

But that's clearly faked as there's no stars in the background, the same way as the moon landing was faked! I read about it on the internet so it must be true!

Seriously though, great picture, I love seeing close-ups of the moon with that sort of detail.

But that's clearly faked as there's no stars in the background, the same way as the moon landing was faked! I read about it on the internet so it must be true!

Seriously though, great picture, I love seeing close-ups of the moon with that sort of detail.

Cheers Giles.

Might get the big boy out tonight if the clouds are kind to me and bugger off.

A few crops, each time run through AI ...

Original image...

Screen Shot 2018-09-25 at 16.24.04.png

Cropped in to just moon and through AI gives:
Screen Shot 2018-09-25 at 16.24.25.png

A bit closer detail on the moon...

Screen Shot 2018-09-25 at 16.25.16.png

Closer still, cropped again...
Screen Shot 2018-09-25 at 16.28.38.png

And the final closer crop on the top left and run though AI...

Screen Shot 2018-09-25 at 16.29.12.png

Back