My grandmothers bird table.

Name
Stephen
Edit My Images
Yes
Another first for me - taking birds in flight. In fairness it was made easier for me by the fact that my grandmother feeds them well! I was surprised at how fast they move. The photographs were taken through the glass in my grandmothers sunroom - unfortunately I couldn't get the lens right up to the glass as she has a window sill that is big enough to sit on. Anyway - feedback and critique are always welcome.

Gran's birds on the 10/10/13
by Exif Data | Stephen Scott, on Flickr

Unfortunately since taking the photographs my Gran has taken very seriously ill with an inoperable brain tumor and won't be with us for very long. She has some of the photographs up on the wall in her room - she doesn't waste any time in telling her visitors that her grandson took those photographs.

Thanks

Stephen

hi Stephen
focus and exposure are spot on showing the birds in their environment just as a thought maybe introduce a more natural perch a branch etc
looking good though
also really really sorry to hear about you gran
regards ray

Great shots showing behaviour number 4 is the pick for me. Perhaps a slight crop to the left side of number one?

Hi Stephen,

Really well done on catching the birds in flight. They're all sharp, well-focused and well exposed.
From a technical perspective I think the first one is a little on the "cold" side and looks like it could do with a bit of a WB adjustment to warm it up - but really they're very good especially considering that they were shot through glass.

Artistically, it would be very easy to say that tempting the birds into a more attractive background (maybe some natural branches or a more rustic perch without the visible feeders) would be an improvement.
However, I suspect that your gran is getting far more pleasure from looking at photos of her own bird feeders so instead I'm going to say that they're perfect as they are.
Sometimes the emotional weight of a photo far outweighs artistic aesthetics and I think this is one of those occasions.

Personally, I'm torn between 3 and 4 as my favourites.
I like the framing of the bird table in number 3 but like the positioning and movement in the birds in number 4.

Thanks for the replies and the comments, when the photographs are presented the way they are on the forum you can see the difference in WB plainly. Most warm it a bit as it would be a minor thing that would really help the photograph. Really really appreciate the kind words as well.

Stevie

PS. I somehow missed that there was a birds section under Comments and Critique - if a mod wants to move the thread please do that.

Last edited:
You've done a great job of freezing the action and I don't think it matters if they are at a garden bird table - it's ALL part of their daily lives and is natural to them.

I find the green grass a bit too yellow and distracting but that's a fairly minor criticism.

Back