My Hermes ... My Herpes more like....

Lynton

awkward customer
Name
Lynton (yes really!)
Edit My Images
No
bit of a rant and I know all self employed and some decent delivery drivers....

I get in from work... to find a note from My Hermes.

"parcel left under black bin of No 21" (neighbours)

When I say under, thrown behind... also as they are chavs the bin is in the front garden, approx 2ft from a path and 6 ft from the main road through the estate...

Just as well it was 6 x wooden bits of train track for Samelia, and not £xxxx worth of lens! Useless tosser!

Can I speak to them ? No, because I did not employ their services...

My Hermes delivery driver is called Tina. She's excellent. If I'm out she'll leave stuff safe and text me to say she's been. Occasionally she has a relief driver who doesn't speak much English but is pretty competent. Never had a problem with Hermes.

Don't know the name of the Hermes lady whom usually delivers to me. But she provides an very good service. And if we are not in leaves the parcel in the place I have asked her to every time.

and that is my point............. 99.99% excellent, the other 0.01% ruins it. If I werer looking to ship various items, based on that single experience they could "do one!"

And the stupid thing.. size of package hidden , would go through the letterbox easily!

How many company CEOs would sell their mother for 99.99% excellence?

Depends if you subscribe to 6 sigma thinking.. which if I recall is 3.6 defects per million, so way over 99%

At least the f***wit could leave it somewhere on my property?

Lets face it, I could easily "pretend" that someone on here sold me a £1000 lens which was left behind the bin next door... "nope not there!".. prove me wrong..

I'm not going to because I an not an ar*e but next time I see the guy , I will point out the potential consequence of his actions..

Depends if you subscribe to 6 sigma thinking.. which if I recall is 3.6 defects per million, so way over 99%

At least the f***wit could leave it somewhere on my property?

Lets face it, I could easily "pretend" that someone on here sold me a £1000 lens which was left behind the bin next door... "nope not there!".. prove me wrong..

I'm not going to because I an not an ar*e but next time I see the guy , I will point out the potential consequence of his actions..
I have to wonder if the sender checked the box to require signature on delivery

I have to wonder if the sender checked the box to require signature on delivery

Well, given no one signed for anything, unless Mr Herpes scrawled something in a box... I am guessing nope!

Our My Hermes driver is ok.

I also have a couple of current and ex My hermes drivers working for me. The drivers would be much better if they didn't work for My Hermes.

I know someone who had them deliver a parcel when they were not in and the driver through it over the back wall. When she went to collect it she found it floating in their fish pond.

Or the time they left a parcel with £300 of cloths in on our doorstep and we don't have a front garden, the door is one foot away from the path, and yes it was gone by the time we got home.

Some of their drivers are total numpties but so is their management for allowing this sort of thing to go on. Paying Peanuts and getting monkeys spring to mind

Paul

I got banned from their forum for the monkeys and peanuts quote...Lol

Twice now with tracked items they used the same note on the website 'tried to deliver 7pm, left card at white door"
We don't have a white door so obviously found no card - this is concerning as you assume driver went to wrong house.
So I rang them early next day and the story changed to "driver had a breakdown" - mechanical presumably.
When it did arrive it was the usual semi-retired lady who is excellent, she said it had only been given to her from the main depot that day.

Presumably this wass to help keep the delivered on time stats looking OK

When it did arrive it was the usual semi-retired lady who is excellent, she said it had only been given to her from the main depot that day.

Now this is a point I've wondered about.

I run my own courier business, I've been doing it for over 20 years, with the amount of experience I have and my no claims bonus I've got the premium down to £1200 for cover for hire and reward

This covers me to collect goods from point A and deliver them to point B

A guy I know has just started up, his premium is £2,500

How can all these courier companies , Hermes,DHL etc have pensioners running around in their own cars delivering parcels because I'm 100% certain they won't have H&R cover

A part time job won't run to the cost of correct insurance on what Hermes pay , wonder what the daily charge is

This is what's on their website

I understand that motor insurance is required to deliver and collect parcels and/or catalogues on behalf of Hermes. Additional insurance, on a third party only basis, can be provided at a daily rate to couriers who are undertaking deliveries or collections for Hermes via a QBE scheme.

I understand that in order to provide a courier service to Hermes I will be required to complete an insurance decision letter and that if I fail to return a completed decision letter I will be automatically included in the QBE scheme and charged accordingly.

I run my own courier business, I've been doing it for over 20 years, with the amount of experience I have and my no claims bonus I've got the premium down to £1200 for cover for hire and reward

How can all these courier companies , Hermes,DHL etc have pensioners running around in their own cars delivering parcels because I'm 100% certain they won't have H&R cover

This was brought up a while back on other forums. However the guys that I know have said that Hermes are now insuring that side, similar to the way the NHS does for its volunteer helpers.

But to add to that. You only need 3rd party cover by law. If you take out a policy and then some time after start delivering pizza's for instance then you will still be "legally" covered for 3rd party liabilities. I did extensive research into this when my brother in law had his car confiscated whilst delivering Chinese. He still had 3rd part cover and the police had no right to assume what the insurance would and wouldnt cover.

If you obtain insurance fraudulently thats one thing but not informing your insurance company of a change in use is another.

I also wonder how many courier van drivers adhere to the domestic driving regulations that they are covered by?

Not many I'd guess

How many truck drivers have second jobs at the weekend when they're supposed to be on a rest period not doing other work

Did you know there's no regulations on how many hours a taxi driver can work because he can't run out of hours with a fare on board .

Domestic hours for vans will probably never get checked unless there's an accident then I'm sure they'll have the ability to track the whereabouts of the van via ANPR

Remember that guy that landed on the train track on the M62 , think it was 10 years he got, not because he fell asleep, because he'd been on the internet until the early hours of the morning then an hour or so later was on the road

That statement on the Hermes website says you have to give them a letter stating you have the correct insurance, doesn't say anything about them wanting to see the insurance.

Last edited:
Wait until driver CPC drifts down to 3.5t and under Darren, I reckon it will and that will upset all the courier companies etc,etc.

It might do if there's an exam any more stringent than name and date of birth but while it's 8 hours of being bored in a room being lectured by a guy that's never driven a truck before but had been on "the course" I think a lot would do it

Probably wouldn't affect the likes of Hermes as the part timers will be in their fiestas

Probably wouldn't affect the likes of Hermes as the part timers will be in their fiestas

Probably so Darren, but, Hermes have an obligation to ensure that all contractors they use are legal. Use,cause or permit an offence to take place would cover that and the conditions on their operators license certainly does.

Be interesting to know if any of these people have had an accident whilst using their vehicle for commercial gain or reward, i`m damned sure that ordinary insurance would be null and void in that instance.

Does asking them to sign a letter saying they have the correct insurance fulfil that obligation though.

I recently signed up with Royal Mail sameday, I had to send copies of my driving licence, H&R insurance, 20k goods in transit, 2m public liability, pictures of the van, they did a CRB check before I was approved

I'm pretty sure if the other courier companies asked for the same they'd have a huge pile of parcels with nobody to deliver them come Monday morning

Does asking them to sign a letter saying they have the correct insurance fulfil that obligation though.

I recently signed up with Royal Mail sameday, I had to send copies of my driving licence, H&R insurance, 20k goods in transit, 2m public liability, pictures of the van, they did a CRB check before I was approved

I'm pretty sure if the other courier companies asked for the same they'd have a huge pile of parcels with nobody to deliver them come Monday morning

I doubt they legally even have to go that far. As a business would you ask to see the DPD guys info before you send a parcel.
In your case its more likely that RM want to make sure your not delivering in van sign written up as a builders van etc.

Probably so Darren, but, Hermes have an obligation to ensure that all contractors they use are legal. Use,cause or permit an offence to take place would cover that and the conditions on their operators license certainly does.

Be interesting to know if any of these people have had an accident whilst using their vehicle for commercial gain or reward, i`m damned sure that ordinary insurance would be null and void in that instance.

As I posted earlier. Its very hard for an insurance company to avoid a policy. There would have to be proven fraud. So If I had a job delivering and I told my insurance I didnt that would be fraud however If I had insurance then got a job delivering but didn't tell the insurance then they could void/avoid claim/policy

Matt, any haulage company that has a business based around hire or reward must ensure that they fulfill the legalities of their operators license. All their own vehicles have to be fully insured and legal, but they also have an obligation to ensure that sub contractors are legal and able to do sub contract work in a legal fashion.

That is where the people using private cars to deliver parcels could well come unstuck. My car is insured for business use and it costs a damned site more than general SDP insurance. If they have got commercial insurance ,then there is no problem.

I don`t know Hermes business model, they may insist that all delivery people do have the correct insurance,if so, then all is good.

Matt, any haulage company that has a business based around hire or reward must ensure that they fulfill the legalities of their operators license. All their own vehicles have to be fully insured and legal, but they also have an obligation to ensure that sub contractors are legal and able to do sub contract work in a legal fashion.

That is where the people using private cars to deliver parcels could well come unstuck. My car is insured for business use and it costs a damned site more than general SDP insurance. If they have got commercial insurance ,then there is no problem.

I don`t know Hermes business model, they may insist that all delivery people do have the correct insurance,if so, then all is good.

Depends what your definition of Haulage is. Not all "Haulage" Companies require an operators license.

Depends what your definition of Haulage is. Not all "Haulage" Companies require an operators license.
They do if the business is for hire or reward Matt.

Would you care to give me some examples of which do not require an O license please?

They do if the business is for hire or reward Matt.

Would you care to give me some examples of which do not require an O license please?

Any company that only uses vehicles under 3500kg.

Any company that only uses vehicles under 3500kg.
Fair comment. But that does not include the company subject to this thread. But it is a true and valid point, though, in my opinion,it should be a requirement.

Fair comment. But that does not include the company subject to this thread. But it is a true and valid point, though, in my opinion,it should be a requirement.

It would certainly remove some "suspect" couriers from the industry.

Some insurance companies have now started to provide extra cover for "lifestyle couriers"

It would certainly remove some "suspect" couriers from the industry.

Some insurance companies have now started to provide extra cover for "lifestyle couriers"
Fully agree with getting rid of the shadier side of the industry.

Didn`t know about the new insurance policies you mention.

Fully agree with getting rid of the shadier side of the industry.

Didn`t know about the new insurance policies you mention.

I'm sure I spotted it on Aviva last year.
But that was the same year they gave me "Carriage of goods for hire or reward" on my car for £55 for the year

Prob no business either cat 1 or 2, or A or B depending on insurer (both mean the same) cover either... or probabaly not even commuting to one regular place of work.

Fortunately, I am not a delivery driver however my employer (and insurer) automatically includes full business cover to a motor policy and if I have to use my car on company business it is covered by the fleet policy.

Back