My Highlands Set

EdinburghGary

Reply not Report
Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
Well what a week. 4 guys, 1 gal, 2 campers, and about 300 sausages. We had fun! :-D

We deviated from the route a little, but we managed to see pretty much the entire west highlands region, as well as the north coast. Over 1,000 miles done in the camper, and still, plenty of shooting time.

With regards to the photos below, they were all taken by me, however, all processed by Gandhi. He was offering tuition on Capture NX, and for that I am very very grateful. I will reprocess all the keepers in a week or so, however for now, I will post the joint effort.

Hope you enjoy!

1 Smoo Cave, Durness, North Coast
3241027816_a109fa84ab_o.jpg

2 Raffin Lighthouse
3241008076_e223198259_o.jpg

3 View towards Stac Pollaidh from loch bad a' ghaill
3240990964_37d49f54d7_o.jpg

4 Kinlochewe
3240148795_d990298631_o.jpg

5 Loch Maree
3240978740_d593c536ee_o.jpg

6 Luib, Isle of Skye
3240970018_61384d939f_o.jpg

7 Broadford, Isle of Skye
3240127455_a77259e47d_o.jpg

8 Broadford, Isle of Skye
3240960266_2426c49f8e_o.jpg

9 The Quiraing, Isle of Skye
3240188968_11c2248cdd_o.jpg

10 Fire In the Sky (PP'd by Gary)
3241780535_6b3ce2c576_o.jpg

Blapto, Gandhi and Woodsy (and Alib for some of the time). Thanks for a terrific week! Cannot wait for Highlands Tour 09' (b).

Gary.

Last edited:
Really nice set

You've certainally captured the essence of the Highlands there, well done(y)

Quality!

High quality set there, if i had to pick one i guess it would be #4.

The way the river leads the eye into the shot is perfect and with the low cloud beyond the mountain range looking like it's ready to burst open, it gives the whole frame real atmosphere.

9 shots?

A week amongst some of the best landscapes the UK has to offer and you only get 9 shots?

:D

Great shots as always, you should be flogging these to the tourist board, makes me want to book a flight (y)

great set - look forward to seeing more

Really nice set

You've certainally captured the essence of the Highlands there, well done(y)

Quality!

Lovely, just lovely.

Well they really should pimp your ego Gary, lovely light, great compositions and very nice processing from Ghandi (y)

High quality set there, if i had to pick one i guess it would be #4.

The way the river leads the eye into the shot is perfect and with the low cloud beyond the mountain range looking like it's ready to burst open, it gives the whole frame real atmosphere.

9 shots?

A week amongst some of the best landscapes the UK has to offer and you only get 9 shots?

:D

Great shots as always, you should be flogging these to the tourist board, makes me want to book a flight (y)

great set - look forward to seeing more

Cheers everyone! Looking forward to having a bash at reprocessing these, and others from my set. Gandhi is an absolute hero for the tutorial.

Gary.

Dude, that's a fantastic set, I'll be well happy with those, glad the trip went well (y)

T.

Brilliant set EdinburghGary...

2, 6 and 9 would be my faves but I like the Smoo Cave one also... that`s just a wee bit from me... if I`d know you were on the go around there you could have popped in for a cup of tea... (or maybe even a dram (or 2) ) :D

Cracking set of pics. :)

That last shot is amazing, get that blown up and stuck on a wall ASAP!

1 and 9 are my favs (y) Looks like you had a great trip! What's the significance of NX2 over LR though? Educate me!

TBH Gary, I think you are your own worst critic sometimes. I had to do very little to get these looking like this.

Thanks for a fantastic week. I can't remember the last time I laughed so much or made such good friends in such a short space of time.

Next stop... TP Bangbus Tour '09 'THE BOOK' lol.

As for capture NX2. It's good because it sees all the camera settings you used at time of shooting such as vivid mode etc and applies them, has excellent shadow recovery, great color rendition, U-Point adjustments, automatically reads the colour abberration correction out of the camera and just does the best job of interpreting Nikon RAW files.

Not sure if lightroom does all this, but I like the look I get with processing with NX.

I really like the trial of NX2 I got with the D90...

Seemed to be really good with the RAW`s right enough.

Must see if I can get the full version. :)

Wow, they're lush! I do like them lots! The first and number 6 if I had to choose though

x

A fantastic series of shots but 6 & 7 are outstanding, great use of light and composition.

(y)

Cracking set.

#6 would have to be my pick of the bunch, the sky and light are amazing and the road takes you straight there.

Good job.

Wow,absolutely love them all,great shots gary.(y):)

Gary mate, epic shots there! Not looking forward to getting mine up now :/ :p Thanks for an absolutely epic week!

Spencer mate, I couldn't agree more on all fronts. :D

Really great stuff, Gary. I was so hoping the weather would be kind to you and it looks like it was. (y)

All I can say is WOW, they are fantastic, what a great set of photo's for your memory.

Some excellent images here, I keep going back to 4, while the others have much more dramatic light, and I can understand their justified appeal, No 4 is more of a classic composition, lots in it, but never feels too busy, with all the elements falling comfortably into place, resting easy on the eye.

Good work all around.

:clap:

Excellent stuff Gary and Ghandi. Your loch Maree (#5) one turned out better than mine thanks to those lovely filters of yours. My foreground is a bit too dark but I did take several so I'll have to go down the photoshop route to pull it back (which I'm not overly fond of doing!)

The Kinlockewe (#4) one is just like mine and it prints really nicely too. (y)

I think my favourite though is the last one. The composition is just perfect with the road in the bottom right and the highlights in the upper left. Stunning.

I'll be up for 09(b) anytime, just been off looking at a new camper for the family this morning :) But I will need to invest in some Lee filters and repair my tripod which is now a bipod after one leg fell off in a stream. :thinking:

excellent set Gary especially 3, 4, 6, and 9 for the colours (y)

Cracking shots Gary :D

Guys,

In the middle of cleaning the van, so will read the replies properly later. Dunno what to say. Gandhi deserves shedloads of the credit, he really has a talent and not only did he help out in the field with my constant "check my composition", but, the PP has really brought my photos to life.

Thanks again Gandhi!

Gary.

Ahem, of course I do, it's the very latest technological feature. :D

No. 9 looks good here too ;) 6 is also a great shot, love the dark brooding sky :)

I'm at risk of being very boring here but -

WOW

What a great team you and Ghandi made. :notworthy:

You had some truly incredible skies and made the most of them. Like nearly everybody else, #6 is the one I keep going back to. You couldn't have staged that sky any better. I hope you're going to print some of these, Gary.

It sounds as though you all had a great time.

Jean

Back