My iMac thoughts.

Edit My Images
Yes
In September 2016 I decided to treat myself to a new 5k iMac of the highest spec currently available.
After using now I am not as impressed as I thought I'd be with it.
I personally cannot see much difference between the 5k resolution on this and the 1440p on my Windows pc. I still can't get used to the Apple operating system no matter how I try and get involved in it.
Perhaps I'm expecting too much out of it. This is just my opinion and I'm seriously thinking of selling it.

So 2 issues. Screen appearance and operating system.
Maybe some screen setting is wrong? It should look a lot better than 1440.
And regarding the operating system, which should work in a way that suits you, there's not much that can be done, apart from installing another one.

Last edited:
One thing that really annoys me with macosX is that it doesn't default to having the hard drive on the desktop. You have to change that in Finder preferences. I find I'm lost without that being on there.

Surely that's a one off tweak. Whereas the real annoyances occur every day.

I usually find a handful of things to tailor to my personal preferences right at the start.
The mouse wheel scrolling direction for one. [emoji33]

Last edited:
Surely that's a one off tweak. Whereas the real annoyances occur every day.

Each time you upgrade it takes it off again. When you change machine it takes it off again, even if you restore from time machine. When you've had several desktops and laptops and have upgraded each several times it does start to become more annoying.

Each time you upgrade it takes it off again.
Oh dear. Time to move on then. Other systems don't do that. Or at least complain to them that they are losing your settings.

I personally don't use the desktop for files. But do like my settings being kept.

Last edited:
Oh dear. Time to move on then. Other systems don't do that. Or at least complain to them that they are losing your settings.

Not worth the hassle. I have an iphone and use icloud a lot so it'd lose me far more in terms of time wasted than just putting up with that irritation.

Mouse scrolling is backwards. I have to reset that as well!

Not worth the hassle. I have an iphone and use icloud a lot so it'd lose me far more in terms of time wasted than just putting up with that irritation.
Oh dear. the famous "lock-in" does work. Time to make a break for freedom.
Mouse scrolling is backwards. I have to reset that as well!
Yes. Up means up!

Does it lose all your settings every time? Does this happen with everyone?

Last edited:
Yes. Up means up!

I hate it (iMac, Macbook, iPad, iPhone).

Every year I think "I'll get an Android phone and be done with this Apple lark" and then always in the end I figure it's too much bother and go back to hating being locked in.

It doesn't help that Windows does my nut in - every time I dual boot it has to update this and that, now I just don't bother. That said, I have W10 on my work laptop and it is much improved, I actually quite like it.

Yes. Up means up!

Does it lose all your settings every time? Does this happen with everyone?

No. The mouse settings generally only have to be put back after a machine change or I've changed the mouse. I've had a wacom tablet + mouse that was quite old so that could have made it worse. The HD off the desktop thing has happened with many of the upgrades but the ones I think between El Capitan and the one before we fine. I've just changed machine due to the old one failing so mouse scroll has to be put back to being the right way round and the HD icon needs to be put back. I did migrate with a TM back up so it's odd it's lost those things. Everything else has been fine. All the software with all their setting is exactly the same. Apart from Photoshop CC which lost the licensing for some reason. So that was a pain.

Actually I find the issues to be in the other direction. I hate to admit Fanboi status but i fell straight into my iMac and now only seem to find problems when using Windows.

I agree that I have to change my mouse settings - but going from a backup should put things that way they were when the backup was taken. Time Machine works seamlessly for me and easy to restore the odd file that needs to be restored or when moving from one machine to another. My drives all have icons on the desktop but I rarely use the as you would in Windows. Just no need.

There are bits I dislike - more that you have to do it Apples way rather than maybe the way you'd want.

My advice is to accept your new PC and go along with things - exactly the way you did when starting out with Windows and you'll be fine. But I'll be looking for a new iMac shortly if you really feel the need to return to Windows.

In September 2016 I decided to treat myself to a new 5k iMac of the highest spec currently available.
I personally cannot see much difference between the 5k resolution on this and the 1440p on my Windows pc. I still can't get used to the Apple operating system no matter how I try and get involved in it.
Perhaps I'm expecting too much out of it. This is just my opinion and I'm seriously thinking of selling it.

There will be a little difference between 1440 and 5K, but unless the monitor is huge and you sit close then it will not be obvious.

As for OSX, some aspects are great and some are not. In the 6 years I used a Mac there were aspects that never ceased to annoy, and returning to windows 8.0 felt really good.

None of the OSs are perfect, but some have aspects that seem fundamentally counter-intuitive by design. If you can flog the thing without losing too much money then that's probably a good plan.

I was looking at Macs today, not because I want another one, just had to get a few things in Curry's. I was a bit surprised at the price hike since I bought my MacBook, I thought now maybe the cheapest way to upgrade is to go iMac, because MacBooks are going a ridiculous price.

So 2 issues. Screen appearance and operating system.
Maybe some screen setting is wrong? It should look a lot better than 1440.
And regarding the operating system, which should work in a way that suits you, there's not much that can be done, apart from installing another one.

Depends on the size of the screen, the human eye can't see the difference from about 2 ft away once you hit 120PPI on a screen anyway.

I hate it (iMac, Macbook, iPad, iPhone).

Every year I think "I'll get an Android phone and be done with this Apple lark" and then always in the end I figure it's too much bother and go back to hating being locked in.

It doesn't help that Windows does my nut in - every time I dual boot it has to update this and that, now I just don't bother. That said, I have W10 on my work laptop and it is much improved, I actually quite like it.

Patch Tuesday, there's generally a release of patches to windows every Tuesday. One of the things that impresses me about Apple's marketing, is that they've managed to convince mac users that regular OS patches are a bad thing. The updates on W10 seem to be a lot quicker too though, it's a huge improvement in general over Windows 7.

Patch Tuesday, there's generally a release of patches to windows every Tuesday. One of the things that impresses me about Apple's marketing, is that they've managed to convince mac users that regular OS patches are a bad thing. The updates on W10 seem to be a lot quicker too though, it's a huge improvement in general over Windows 7.

They do do fairly regular updates but they tend to happen in the background and doesn't take ages when you boot up as (which is what really did my head in). I guess W10 solves that but the only reason I would dual boot nowadays would be to play games and I don't have much time for that.

One thing that really annoys me with macosX is that it doesn't default to having the hard drive on the desktop. You have to change that in Finder preferences. I find I'm lost without that being on there.

It's not as useful as clicking the Finder icon - the Macintosh HD icon on the desktop takes you to the top level, Finder defaults to your home folder. I know which one I use more often.

A far better option is to add frequently used locations to the Finder sidebar (including external and network drives):
Screen Shot 2017-01-17 at 00.52.40.png
Or use Cmd - Space to bring up spotlight and search for what you need.

It does what I want. If it automatically places other mounted devices on the desktop it makes no logical sense for the HDD not to be on there anyway.

FWIW, I can't see any difference between my late 2012 iMac 27 and the new 5K iMac 27. The only Windows machines I use now are Laptops both of which are on Win 10. Their screens are of course a lot smaller than the Mac, so the screen resolution thing is a bit moot (Apples v Oranges). The laptops' screen resolution does look very good to me.

Over the thirty odd years of using PCs, I learned a lot about the machines; how to build, troubleshoot and repair them, how to deal with driver and hardware issues, how to delve into Windows and tweak it for my needs etc. I used them for industrial applications, report writing, data analysis, photography, music recording, gaming. Had a lot of fun and at times frustration with PCs.

In the 3.5 years of using the Mac, I haven't needed to know much about how it works in order to do what I want to do with it. So I certainly don't know the hardware or the OS as well as I know Windows. I enjoy using the Mac and even though it's not perfect (what is?), prefer it to using Windows (which to me feels clunky in comparison).

Had I just purchased a top-spec iMac, then I guess my expectations might be pretty pumped up. Sadly I think that is often a route to disappointment.

Last edited:
Was every other Tuesday fortnightly. But apparently w10 just gets update when needed and doesn't conform to patch Tues.

Back