My job's not actually that bad

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
Spotted this guy a few weeks ago, click on picture for larger versions

This is where they were working from.

Last edited:
How cool! Never seen one of those before! Well spotted.

How cool! Never seen one of those before! Well spotted.

I was quite lucky, I had been working in the Tilbury area for a few days, so I stuck the camera in the car on the next trip out.

Anyone who drives past that area at the moment will see they are still working there. There are huge safety nets under cables where they cross the A13.

Always wondered what the nets were for! Think I'd take my job any day of the week, and I hate it at the best of times!

Actually, i wonder if the nets are to stop falling cables or falling people ??????

I was on a wind farm in Scotland, where it is.... windy and there were people up the towers like this, involved in a restringing operation to divert the lines to a temporary tower. I found it hard enough to stand up straight at ground level, given the way that the wind was blowing. There's no way you'd get me up in one of those.

The temporary tower fell over the next day, apparently. Fortunately, nobody was hurt. Unfortunately, I wasn't there with a camera.

great capture looks like its more fun than it probably is.

My mate is one of the guys who erects the scaffolding, nets, work platforms and cable cars on them things, and he loves his job.
most of us see scaffolding only in towns but he has worked in the south pole with the british scientist for 1 month though only 1 weeks work, but boat only comes once a month so spent the rest of the tame taking pics, also eden project, hong kong airport and many more.

I will try to get him to post some pics.

WOW! then you can stop dreaming, I'm sure we can find work for you here, mate!

Edit: I just removed my similar picture Richard as this is your thread, not mine. Apologies for that :)

Last edited:
Not a job I'd like in winter. Props for keeping my kettle working though.

Not a job I'd like summer, winter. autumn or spring no matter how good the pay .... er ... well it depends on just how much I guess! ;)

Last edited:
wow !!

is someone playing a trick onthis guy with the ladder?? you should have waited 5 mins for another picture.... lol !

PandG2.jpg

WOW! then you can stop dreaming, I'm sure we can find work for you here, mate!

Edit: I just removed my similar picture Richard as this is your thread, not mine. Apologies for that :)

Mark, not a problem, pop it back up if you want to.

My son has just applied for an aprenticeship working on the power distribution, working on pylons etc.

Better not show his Mum she wont like to think of him up there.

Mark, not a problem, pop it back up if you want to.

Thanks Richard. Like you I just happened to be driving by then did a "U-eee" as we say in Oz, and drove back to take some shots.

P2345542.jpg
[/CENTER]

Used to work on those, back in the early 80's - had a job painting them - they'd earth up half the cables and keep the other side live. So, you climbed up the correct side, chipped the flakey paint off, and slathered a horrible thick silver paint on. We made do with a sit and chest harness and a big sling with a snap-hook on the end. Oh yeah, and a plastic hard-hat. Not that it'd do a whole lot for you when you smashed into the ground from 100ft+ :shrug:

Good catch, never seen anyone work on powerlines before. I wouldn't like to do it but i bet the pay is excellent

Last edited:
Good catch, never seen anyone work on powerlines before. I wouldn't like to do it but i bet the pay is excellent

Put it this way - I did it as a summer job for 10 weeks after my second year at college, and earned enough to pay off my entire overdraft from prior 2 years, bought a Brand New Kawasaki Z650, and still had a couple of grand in the bank at the end of my third year. Yes, it was seriously good money - living on-site in an awful caravan with 4 other smelly pylon painters, working from dawn 'till dusk it needed to be :LOL:

Used to work on those, back in the early 80's - had a job painting them - they'd earth up half the cables and keep the other side live. So, you climbed up the correct side, chipped the flakey paint off, and slathered a horrible thick silver paint on. We made do with a sit and chest harness and a big sling with a snap-hook on the end. Oh yeah, and a plastic hard-hat. Not that it'd do a whole lot for you when you smashed into the ground from 100ft+ :shrug:

good for falling stuff (had this discussion re caving helmets)

Put it this way - I did it as a summer job for 10 weeks after my second year at college, and earned enough to pay off my entire overdraft from prior 2 years, bought a Brand New Kawasaki Z650, and still had a couple of grand in the bank at the end of my third year. Yes, it was seriously good money - living on-site in an awful caravan with 4 other smelly pylon painters, working from dawn 'till dusk it needed to be :LOL:

I need to find somat like that cover a fair chunk of the investment I need for kit

You've convinced me. Anyone need pylons painted badly let me know i need a car lol

Brave lads i cant change a plug :)

Back