My jobs not as exciting as Arkady's........

Edit My Images
Yes
But I don't get shot at though, so maybe that's not a bad thing ;) I do have to put up with some 'kin awful cups of tea though. How come no one has any Earl Grey?

Anyway, thought I'd share some shots with you just to show the types of stuff I've been doing over the last couple of weeks.....

24042006-07.jpg

DSC_0068.jpg

DSC_0073.jpg

24042006-09.jpg

DSC_0085.jpg

DSC_0097.jpg

The exterior ones will have a nice blue sky 'shopped on before they're published.

Probably not very proffessional posting these but hey, I took the pics, so I own the copyright. :razz:

enjoy!

(I wont be offended if I don't get any 'nice shot' type comments on these btw, they're just there to illustrate a point ;) )

You forgot to say how much it is on the market for :)

Wow! I hope you took your shoes off..lol
My job takes me into some really nice houses, but I also get the other end of the spectrum too - there are some bloody hovels out there. Fortunately, the area I cover at the minute is a mainly nice area with posh houses :)

The first four are from the same house. £910,000 to you, or about 850k once you've haggled the price down cause it needs the fake marble pillars removing ;)

the last two are from this place......

DSC_0103.jpg

£310K if you're interested.

God, I hope no-one connected to my business is reading this, or any clients for that matter.

Some nicely-lit interiors there.

When I was on course at Cosford we'd be marked down for not balancing the exterior light with the interior though, so I can only give you a 'Pass' on these, not a 'Distinction' or 'Credit'.

hohohohoh

That I realise, estate agents aren't too bothered though. They look a lot better than their phone cam pics though.

So go on then, enlighten me! At the moment I'm using the camera on manual mode, exposure is about 1/10 sec at f4-5.6, iso400. Sb800 on iTTL mode, can't remember the exact settings as this one was on loan at the time, pick my own one up tomorrow.

I'm guessing at more flash and faster shutter speeds?

Basically you set the exposure to the outside then match the flash output accordingly - easier with a set of Bowens heads, I'd imagine.
My exam piece was an interior of Wolverhampton Guildhall Lobby and staircase. All shot on Hasselblad, so don't bother asking to see it.
I used eleven lights in all - bloody nightmare.

It should be do-able with about four SB-800's on remote though. If I were doing it professionally, Bowens lights would work out cheaper.

One of the reasons I love the work I do, is that it's technically very undemanding. Almost point-and-shoot, really - the subject matter makes the images good, not the photographer. If I'm really honest, that is...

I'm sure that's not entirely true. The subject matter coupled with the ability to perform under (probably intense) pressure is what makes the images good. Most people would probably fall apart under the conditions you work in.

Thanks for the tips, not sure my budget will extend to a full flash set up at the moment. I'm living on beans for the foreseeable after shelling out for the nikon, sb800 and sigma 10-20!

Fortunately most estate agents aren't that fussy, and our image manipulation team do a VERY good job ;)

I have a three-head Bowens set you're welcome to borrow, mate.

Thanks, I may take you up on the offer if we get any massive mansions to do. Unfortunately it's not practical for day to day stuff as it tends to be a bit of a hack in that we only have a limited amount of time in each property, and we get paid by the job, so more jobs+more moulah!

I may even just borrow it off you at some point soon to have a play with studio stuff, never tried anything along those lines before!

Hey Ghandi! No getting that stuff, turning up at Bristol expecting me to do any 'posing' for you! :puke:

Arkady said:
I have a three-head Bowens set you're welcome to borrow, mate.

I might take you up on that, do you know where I live?

No?

I'll meet you at Covent Garden then, bring 'em with you :D

When I was on course at Cosford we'd be marked down for not balancing the exterior light with the interior

That is about the only place you could pick holes in those shots. Perhaps maybe the burnt out lights on two of them but that's very nit picky. ;)

Really nicely shot interiors there, not always easy without a "real" camera.

To cut the subject of balancing the room light (if you're using flash) with the outside light to a very basic level. You can break it down to using the aperture to control the flash and the shutter to control the ambient.

Have you tried HDR with PhotoMatix for shots with exterior & interior light ? I used it when shooting my house when selling, opening 2 shots from RAW...1 correct for interior & 1 correct for outside. Worked pretty well & I'm sure it could be improved using more of the function in the pgm. Example below taken with no flash (note the colours were muted for outside as Pilkington K glass) :-

GardenRoomHDR800pixels.jpg

Good idea, ta very much, but when I have four jobs in a day, 120+ shots to sort through and ftp, floorplans to scan and upload, the extra workload doesn't make it worthwhile alas.

I may try the technique if I have any big posh ones to do that need the fancy photo's.

*sigh* You can't imagine how seeing those photos make me feel. I'm looking to buy a flat now, with very limited money, in Cambridge. Guess what sort of places I've been looking at? :(

dazzajl said:
That is about the only place you could pick holes in those shots. Perhaps maybe the burnt out lights on two of them but that's very nit picky. ;)

Trust me: we had stand-up, nose-to-nose arguments with the examiners over some exam entries - at one point they threatened to throw me off the course until the Army Master Photographer put his foot down.

Most of the TSVC examiners are RAF and they see things from a different perspective: the wrong one! Because my PR shots weren't all 'tabloid' style - i.e. tight, bright and upright (referred to by us as tight bright and shyte), I never got better than a 'Pass' whereas those who played the game and did safe shots would get Distinctions.
Guess my current crop of Front Pages (now at 10 and counting) are all dross then eh, fellas?

So you going to share these front cover shots with us then Rob ?

Forgot to say Spencer, that when I was selling my house the more upmarket (sorry rip off) estate agent wanted me to pay £200 up front for photo's to be taken by a pro. Looking at your shots they are of equivalent std (y)

The only thing I did notice with some outside shots from the pro, was they had shots taken from up higher (not the telegraph pole method used by some now). I found with my house I had to climb on daughters slide & hold camera above head for best perspective. Not sure how you'll cover that :thinking:

Just a thought...... (I have them now and then!) Aren't there some light balancing filters supllied with the SB 800? I've not tried them I must admit, but I think, in all bar one of your internal shots the tungsten one could've been used.... Not that they're bad attempts at all, very well done;)

The worst situation I had to recover was a mix of tungsten, flourescent and daylight. Hours of work in Photoshop..... It was a long, thin shop interior.... (They didn't sell long thin things before anybody asks!)

Back