My kids at home

Name
Alistair
Edit My Images
No
Last edited:
Lovely shots, great poses, and effective lighting.

I had the same problem with creased backgrounds (#1 image) but a little Pp will sort that. And yes, it's hard to get that background separation in the home.

Did you say you used speedlights? Bril :)

Lovely shots, great poses, and effective lighting.

I had the same problem with creased backgrounds (#1 image) but a little Pp will sort that. And yes, it's hard to get that background separation in the home.

Did you say you used speedlights? Bril :)

Oops. Uploaded the wrong version of that. Replaced it with the right one. ;)

Yup. Two speedlights; bare flash on the background and a one in a softbox to the left of the camera.

My big problem was finding enough space in the house to set it all up and get enough distance between the background, subject, lights and myself.
Think that is most people's problems using any form of flash at home :)

Pretty good results, though. Tiny bit too much wrap on the left arm in #2 for me (nit picking) but all three are charming.

I've suffered the same problem many times trying to do exactly the same at home and at the end of the day there is no substitute for separation between background and subject.

I have to say though, the first shot shows how good a job you've done in what I assume is limited space. The second isn't as successful due to the wrap around you've got from the background, which impacts quiet a bit on the face.

Still good shots and great captures of the kids having fun. All I can recommend is giving up on the white background and getting yourself a nice grey backdrop, much easier and still looks great.

I've suffered the same problem many times trying to do exactly the same at home and at the end of the day there is no substitute for separation between background and subject.

I have to say though, the first shot shows how good a job you've done in what I assume is limited space. The second isn't as successful due to the wrap around you've got from the background, which impacts quiet a bit on the face.

Still good shots and great captures of the kids having fun. All I can recommend is giving up on the white background and getting yourself a nice grey backdrop, much easier and still looks great.

Yeah, I'm not on the whole a fan of the white background thing anyway, particularly with the wrap-around as you mentioned.
I think the first one avoided the wrap around either because she was a step further from the background or because her hair blocks the light from hitting the face.
I'd definitely need more space to get them further from the background, particularly if I wanted full length body shots.

The background support stands came with the white background and a black one too, but now I have the stands, I can get other backgrounds to try. Light fall-off wouldn't look so bad on a grey background either ;)

Back