My kind of E-mail

Edit My Images
No
From Blueyonder today.....

Coming Soon - more speed at no extra cost

Soon we will be increasing your download speed from 2Mb to up to 10Mb, and increasing your upload speed from 256k to up to 384k, all at no extra cost to you.

Your service will remain completely unlimited, so you don't have to worry about how much you use the Internet or the amount you download.

Excellent stuff! Come on NTL, get your act together and roll out my 10MB :)

Matt

Very nice...........Blueyonder keep trying to get me to go broadband (yes am still on dialup :) ) for 99p extra a month........but I am not budging :LOL:

I'm with Blueyonder/Telewest.

Started a year ago on 256Kbps. Then they upgraded it to 512Kbps for free. Now they're upgrading it to 2Mbps for free (and the upstream to 256Kbps from 128Kbps). Also their status page shows that the upgrades in my area (Croydon) should be taking place... well, yesterday actually. I don't think it's happened yet but will check again when I get home.

And on the subject of...

P-E said:
Very nice...........Blueyonder keep trying to get me to go broadband (yes am still on dialup :) ) for 99p extra a month........but I am not budging :LOL:

Does that not strike you as an offer you should perhaps take up? The net was never really meant to be accessed over phone lines. Broadband just makes more sense to your computer, let alone your wallet.

fingerz, you might have to turn off your modem for a few minutes to get the upgrades. NTL require you to do this I think.

Matt

fingerz said:
Does that not strike you as an offer you should perhaps take up? The net was never really meant to be accessed over phone lines. Broadband just makes more sense to your computer, let alone your wallet.

It certainly does and it will be only a matter of time before I give them a call.

bah...

I'm still sat here waiting for my ISP to enter the 21st century and give me 1mb in place of 512k

10mb, thats just greedy :D

digitalfailure said:
10mb, thats just greedy :D

GREEDY!!!! Thats obscene.. :annoyed:

Will have to stick with my 1Mbit package due to the line length from the exchange.. :yawn:

busterboy said:
GREEDY!!!! Thats obscene.. :annoyed:

Will have to stick with my 1Mbit package due to the line length from the exchange.. :yawn:

You're lucky BB, I can't get more that 512 :(

dod said:
You're lucky BB, I can't get more that 512 :(

I believe if you request a manual line test you will almost certainly get 1Mbit now dod..

I was in the exact same position (BT Line Checker) telling me only 512 was available until I forced my ISP Nildram to do a manual check,

Went through with no problem.. :woot:

You should try the same mate.. ;)

I'll try that :) Cheers for the heads up :thumb:

I nearly placed my order for an up to 25mg line the other day. According to tests my line speed would have been around 20mb :D

Has anyone tried that blueyonder AV software. using AVG and ZA at the moment, wondering if it worth giving it a go.

no idea

im so far from the exchange, i cant even get 512kb, 128kb max at best...

luckily 1mb wireless local network...just drop the price eh lads? £30, taking the mickey just a bit now!

EosD said:
luckily 1mb wireless local network...just drop the price eh lads? £30, taking the mickey just a bit now!

I could write a book on trying for ADSL in my area... :nut:

Call me stupid but about 4 years ago I was paying in the region of £90 a month for 2Mbit Satellite ADSL internet... :shock:

1: You need an ISP for a dial-up account per month
2: I also had ISDN at about £30 a month (quick connection but crap speeds)
3: I was paying a bloody fortune for a crappy satellite connection which was useless but was sucked into a 12 month contract.. :eyesup:

Yes I was desperate for broadband.......Very desperate... :icon_redf

My ISP charge £24.99/month for 512k :( The only two reasons I stay with them are:

1. No bandwidth restrictions.
2. 1Gb of webspace.

Can't get Blueyonder here.

GfK said:
My ISP charge £24.99/month for 512k :( The only two reasons I stay with them are:

1. No bandwidth restrictions.
2. 1Gb of webspace.

Can't get Blueyonder here.

In all honesty though, there are still quite a few people out there who don't have any bandwidth restrictions, although they are becoming thinner on the ground.
I'm with Pipex and they only do 'traffic shaping' at peak hours (6pm - midnight), insofar that, if you are classed as a heavy downloader (read gigs per day, every day for months), then you are restricted during peak hours.

Now this is the sort of restriction I don't mind (as long as prices reflect it of course), due to the actual boundaries they have set. Here it's only the very very heavy downloaders who have been 'shaped', yet with someone like BT, you connect and you're restricted for using too much bandwidth.

I keep getting told that my line will only go to 512k, even though i'm on a newish build area and not all that far from the exchange.

Eclipse take around 23 quid a month off me for that speed too!

I'm not restricted and the servce level of eclipse is great, but I'd love to have just a little more speed......1mb would be fine never mind 10mb :D

2meg connection here from plus net @14.99 a month. It's shaped to allow priority to browsing, but not capped. I've given up downloading music and stuff since they've started prosecuting in the uk. Now I just have to contend with my flat-mate the bandwidth vampire, who's just discovered shareaza!

Back