My last wedding of the year.....almost!!

Name
Damien
Edit My Images
Yes
Unless a last minute booking comes in, this is my last wedding of 2011.....:crying:

There were many firsts for me at this wedding.....the bridal prep was on a boat, it was my first mixed race wedding, it's the first time I've covered a wedding in the church I got married in myself (more about that in a bit!), it was the first time I've put a tent up at a wedding, the first time I've had a Nigerian meal at a wedding, and it was also the first time I've worked with forum member "Ben:", who was an absolute star and stayed right to the end.....think we left about 22:30 ish!! :clap:

It was a great way to finish my season, and the couple and their guests couldn't have been nicer. The weather was lovely too (despite the harsh light!), even if I was sweating like a pregnant nun all day (28oC!) :puke:

Well, it was supposed to be my last wedding of 2011, that was until I got a text message from Ryanyboy asking me to assist him two days after this one.....but that's another story!! ;)

Shooting in the church that me and my wife married in just over two years ago, was a little weird. However, the Vicar, Paul, couldn't have been nicer. Compared to every single other registrar and vicar I've had this year, he was by far and away, the best. He agreed to let me do everything I asked and even offered some of his own suggestions too.....it makes the service so much easier, why can't they all be like this!?! :shrug:

Anyway, on to the photos.....these are just quick edits, as I'm currently working through four weddings at the moment!! :eek: There are some obvious things that need sorting out, but please feel free to comment on absolutely anything you see.....I don't bite, and I welcome comments from people of any and all abilities and/or experience!! (y)

Mirror by Damien Light Photography, on Flickr

Smile by Damien Light Photography, on Flickr

Boat by Damien Light Photography, on Flickr

The Boys by Damien Light Photography, on Flickr

Aisle by Damien Light Photography, on Flickr

Sunset by Damien Light Photography, on Flickr

Thanks for looking!!!! :D

Last edited:
Like it - takes you a moment to figure out the scene. Bit harsh on lighting? Nice emotion!

Just a little crop of the person at the back? Really nice smile, blurry one at the front and both laughing at something on the right - nice shot.

The power leads on the boat :/ bit of cloning perhaps or a crop to the edge of the boat (mid line) although that doesnt' show its on a boat...

If only he hadn't put the mobile in the trouser pocket... Brilliant otherwise nice focus, angle works (for me)

Not sure if I like the head cropped. Something weird with my eyes but the marker (grave?) in the floor tilts right, the wall (castle style) at the back tilts left... BnW works for it

Like the lighting, and the sky. Not sure of the shadow but no idea what you could do about it.

Really nice shots! (y)

good stuff

1. Takes a bit too long to compute what the scene is for me so doesnt quite work

3. I like bar the messy bits in the bottom left corner

4. Great though as said the phone is a shame, and nice motorsport angle use there

5. Cracking idea, may be my screen but not sure where the focus is ? :help:

6. Works a treat
(y)

What I should have explained at the start, is that I have a few versions of each of these shots, and that the ones I've posted here may well not be the best that I have on my hard drive.....in hindsight, I shouldn't have rushed with selecting them, but I did, so there!! :razz:

Huge thanks to all of you for taking the time to comment, and as always, you're all bang on with your points.....:clap: I of course, have infallible excuses for any errors, but they will probably fall on deaf ears so I won't waste my time!! :LOL:

i like these - 6 is great. care to share your lighting technique for that one?

The story behind that one, is that we all had to walk across a nearby campsite to get a clear-ish background. So I left all the fancy gear behind and used a single bare flashgun with a stoffen diffuser attached, held as high as Ben could hold it.....it wasn't ideal, but it's come out okay imho!! (y)

Really like these. As has been said before a few small things like the powercables need tidying. I love the colours in the sky in the last one but (and it may be my cruddy work monitor) I seem to lose the details in the grooms face :shrug:

HTH

Nick

Really like these. As has been said before a few small things like the powercables need tidying. I love the colours in the sky in the last one but (and it may be my cruddy work monitor) I seem to lose the details in the grooms face :shrug:

HTH

Nick

Thanks Nick!! (y) there is some shadow on the grooms face, which along with his dark skin does mean there some detail lost.....:( I was so bust concentrating on the sky and the dress, that I paid little attention to the groom at the time!! :bonk:

The cables have divided opinion in my house.....I want to get rid of them, the wife thinks they should stay.....I might end up giving the couple both versions so they can choose!! (y)

Nice work. (y)

Not keen on the angle shot but thats just me.. I like the emotion you have caught in the shots.

Regards MD(y)

Nice work. (y)

Not keen on the angle shot but thats just me.. I like the emotion you have caught in the shots.

Regards MD(y)

Thanks, Dave!! (y) Very kind of you to comment!!

The angles are (obviously?!) deliberate, and I always take a level-ish shot before I tilt the camera.....sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.....the couple always get both versions and I always post shots on here deliberately to see peoples genuine opinions!!

Seriously, thanks for commenting!! :clap:

I've been archiving my working year the last couple of days, and I've really enjoyed seeing how I've progressed over the year.....it's fair to say I'm pretty chuffed with myself!! :D

Still a long way to go though.....so sadly, everyone will have to put up with a load more of my crap throughout 2012!!! :D

A last wedding and I would say (based on these) that the quality is quite a bit higher than you've produced in previous ones which is great! As soon as I saw #6 I was sold..... I love sunset shots, I love off camera flash and 6 is cool. In the last year I've added a light stand and 43" shoot through brolly and it makes this sort of thing nicer still..... a worth investment for you to consider in 2012 so you can take another step forward ;)

Good job!!!!

A last wedding and I would say (based on these) that the quality is quite a bit higher than you've produced in previous ones which is great! As soon as I saw #6 I was sold..... I love sunset shots, I love off camera flash and 6 is cool. In the last year I've added a light stand and 43" shoot through brolly and it makes this sort of thing nicer still..... a worth investment for you to consider in 2012 so you can take another step forward ;)

Good job!!!!

Thanks Mark!! (y) The noted improvement with my work is much appreciated!! :clap:

I have one of these bad boys: http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy...8_1315652681_1962c4e0d6bb5d252caf239a15bbfec9 which is lovely to use and produces lovely quality light.....I also have the grid that goes with it which again is great for spotlighting/controlling spill, but they aren't so portable when on mile long hikes over campsites when you're in a rush!! :shake:

Ah, that's cool, no, I agree about that for sure. When I was shooting my sister in laws wedding in Egypt I had to use the flash naked as I had nothing to modify with so the light was a little harsh but better than without anything.

I've got 3 weddings left this year unless I get any winter bookings come in (hopefully there will be some).

Back