Review My mini review of the 70-200mm F.4L

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
No
Just this week acquired a new copy of this lens and had a little play with both the 1.4x and the 2x converters today.:)

Having bought this for a walk around lens I thought I would run a mini test of my own for anyone who may be interested in what it performs like with and without converters fitted.:)

My first conclusion was with no converters fitted the AF is very fast in the sunlight I ran the test in although at F.4 although I presume things will slow down in poor light, IS is not a problem IMO because in realility it makes you hold the camera more steadily.

All my shots were taken from the same vantage spot so trying to get an equal judgment on the test.

Shot 1 was at 200mm @ f.4 where for birding is a struggle to get much detail but here is a cropped shot to look at..
200mm@f.4.jpg

Second shot here has the 1.4x converter fitted making it 280mm @ f/5.6
Again a 50% cropping but still has a great finish to the shot.
280mm@f.5.6=1.jpg

Now we come to the 2x converter fitted obviously making it 400mm @ f.8
Still the AF was working really good and was surprised at the quality with only a slight crop. Value for money. I think so..:1st:
400mm@f.8.jpg

Hi Tim,

You say that you could use AF with this lens and a 2x converter... did you use some kind of workaround as I was under the impression that it was manual focus only with the 2x?

Was this with the Canon converters? If you could link to actual samples for comparison it would be appreciated!

I think I may have just solved the question myself - you have a 1-series camera don't you?

I think on my lowly 5d Mk II the 2x would be manual focus only.

Would like to see some photos as I am thinking of getting one to use with my 20D

Pete

you are correct mark, the 1.4x and 2x convertors both allow autofocus on a 1 series

Yep going to sell my 10d kit to fund this baby

Got what a lovely lens

Shame cant see your images but my dad has one of these

Back