My new camera has made my photography skills worse!

And therein lies the holy grail... the lack of complaint about clipped highlights, grainy shadow detail or poor contrast. It's not about getting plaudits for doing it correctly, it's about avoiding criticism for getting it wrong :)
Normal people won't even notice clipped highlights, grainy shadow detail or poor contrast because they'll be looking at the pictures.

You may be right.

Thing is some people enjoy the act of nailing the exposure and retaining full control of the creation of the photograph. Others are more enamoured by the creative process and the end result. Each is equally valid. But I'd say that 'seeing' an image is far harder than exposing an image correctly.
In my camera club days I do recall seeing technically excellent, but uninteresting pictures getting praise. Likewise when I was at nightschool doing my city and guilds a few years back. Depends who your audience is - mine isn't camera club judges or lecturers anymore and while I wouldn't say my standards have dropped, my photographs have more substance from an aesthetic / creative perspective than before.

Back