My new glasses really help !!!!!!

Edit My Images
Yes
yup,

while in Oz i got my brother-in-law to make me some new glasses, ( he is an opthalmic engineer inplimenting iso 9002 )

i had my eyes tested about a week b4 i went and found my right eye ( my dominant picture taking eye ) was a whole unit out ( -1 down to -2 ) , plus other poblems

He made my glasses using the new Nikon lenses available over there that have the transition reactions in ( not available here yet ) and all the coatings he could squeeze onto em , lol

well, to cut a long story slightly shorter,

i can actually see things now, lol, and it has made a world of difference to my closeup work, as b4 i couldnt figure out why they were slightly out of focus ( to everyone else, lol )

so expect an onslaught of pics from me , lol

just thought i would share ,

MP 8)

That’s great news sir, I am lucky enough to have perfect eyesight but never forget how hard it must be for people that are not as fortunate as me. It must be even harder for the people that have to wear glasses when doing photography.

What upsets me more is that all the latest technology is not available to everybody that needs it. Your story is another example of this. While I don’t be grudge anyone anything it still upsets me that these advancements are not available to all.

i to used to have perfect eyesight, untill 7 years ago,
things were getting blurred at distance, so ended up with glasses, now i wear em all the time,

and i'm 37 years old, taking pix since i was 6 , so was a bit of ablow, and took some geting used to

as for the technology, i'm afraid it a commercial world, and everything has a price, my glasses would have cost £600 , but of course i didnt pay that,

MP

Steve said:
What upsets me more is that all the latest technology is not available to everybody that needs it. Your story is another example of this. While I don’t be grudge anyone anything it still upsets me that these advancements are not available to all.

There are plenty of alternative quality lenses available in the UK, don't feel too bad :) . The biggest improvement 'MyPix' has noticed will be due to the dioptre change in his prescription rather than the lens and its coatings.

Thank heaven for the dioptre adjustment in the viewfinder. It gives me the choice of using specs or not, although they're a must when it comes to altering the settings. :(

CT said:
Thank heaven for the dioptre adjustment in the viewfinder. It gives me the choice of using specs or not, although they're a must when it comes to altering the settings. :(

How about contact lenses? Distance corrected in your dominant eye for use with the view finder, and a multi-focal contact lens for the other eye to allow you to see the camera dials. If you bought daily disposables and just wore them when taking the camera out, they should be quite cheap too. Just an idea.

You an opthalmist then Dave?

I have seriously thought about contact lenses. Are they a realistic proposition for me, I need them for reading and driving. :?

CT said:
You an opthalmist then Dave?

I'm an Optometrist (that's optician to you :) )

A lot of people that need correction for distance and reading are keen to get out of glasses. There are both bifocal and varifocal contact lenses available worth trying. I find I have most success with fitting my patients with mono-vision ie. one eye corrected for distance and the other corrected for near or with a varifocal contact lens.

Most places on the high street will offer a free trial, give it a go.

Cheers Dave I just might try it. 8)

DaveG said:
I find I have most success with fitting my patients with mono-vision ie. one eye corrected for distance and the other corrected for near or with a varifocal contact lens.

Most places on the high street will offer a free trial, give it a go.

That sounds like it would be really confusing. Doesn't it end up with you putting more strain on one eye than the other? Sounds interesting though...

I used to wear glasses for short sight but had laser surgery 2 years ago and have never looked back (scuse the pun!)

As long as your dominant eye is corrected for distance then there should not be any confusion. No worries regarding straining the eyes. Works for about 7 out of 10 people, some will not feel comfortable with it.

I'm totally fed up of wearing glasses and I'm going to look into this. I know I'm quite aggressively right eye dominant from my clay shooting days. Any thoughts Dave?

If I have one, my secretary ('er indoors ) will have it filed. If I dig it out I'll post it. Thanks mate! 8)

phase_k said:
I used to wear glasses for short sight but had laser surgery 2 years ago and have never looked back (scuse the pun!)

To be honest, I have seen some great results with the laser surgery. Shame the media decides to criticize it every so often.

Most people will still need reading glasses after they reach 45 though, even if they have had laser surgery.

cool,
i am having my new contacts fitted tomorrow as well, i prefer them for going out etc ,

trouble is i have a very tricky scrip and astigmatisme in both eyes, and apparently my ' axis ' is fine one way and totaly out the other in my right eye, lol

this means i cant have the daily disposables atm, just the monthly ones, but i will only wear em for no more than a week a month

MP

DaveG said:
Lens choice will depend on your prescription. Main thing will be how much astigmatism you have (if any). Do you have a copy of your glasses prescription.

presc.jpg

Thanks Doc! :LOL:

I don't wear glass's but my partner does.

I just thought I'd share an experience she had last year over getting a new prescription.

She went to her usual testing center and had her eyes checked, then came away with the updated prescription.
After leaving the center she told me what went on, and to me it sounded a bit suspect (regarding the eye test).

The so called optician only tested her weak eye, and issued the prescription for that eye.

I then took her along to that great big supermarket chain Tesco.
They did her eye test which took quite a while, at least a good half hour.
She came out with a completely different prescription to what she'd been given less than an hour earlier.

She got her new spec's using the tesco prescription, confident that that was the one to go with.

She can now see properly through her glass's which she apparently hasn't been able to do for the last couple of years.

She now realises what a handsome chap I am :D

:LOL: Hmmm - would they have been ready in an hour at the first place?

CT said:
:LOL: Hmmm - would they have been ready in an hour at the first place?

:D No comment

CT, your prescription looks straight forward. Not worth correcting astigmatism that low.

Can't tell if that prescription is for distance or near or if they are the same. How old are you? Can you see the tv and close work with your glasses? If so are the single vision, bifocal or varifocal?

The pic indicates you only need single vision, therefore CL's will be simpler still :)

I'm 63 in July. I'm currently wearing varifocals. Before that I had bifocals. I need glasses for reading, watching TV, driving and going for a pi$$. :LOL:

They have just written your distance prescription on that card then.

With that prescription most types of lenses will be suitable. Daily disposable will be the most convenient, there are several makes on the market now. I wear Ciba lenses, Acuvue and B&L are both very popular too.

If your last test was within the last 6 months then just book a contact lens trial and take that card with you. If not book a sight test followed by a CL fit.

Come on , be brave :D

Thanks Dave 8) I'm definitely going to have a trial.

Back