My new Laptop & Vista

Name
Gillian
Edit My Images
Yes
Love my new lappy to bits bit not Vista. Has anyone else had to make the decision to go back to XP? It won't run Adobe CS2 correctly and I can not afford to upgrade to CS3 as yet, so I am seriously thinking of paying someone to XP Pro on for me. I'm so mad:bang:

Only for CS3. Adobe's forum has responded by saying they are not going to invest in developing a patch for a discontinued software product - Great eh?

I bought two machines for our graphics department that shipped with Vista on. Absolutely hated it and slowed workflow.

Now resorted back to XP!

Can't beat reliability/stability, no matter how good it looks.

I bought two machines for our graphics department that shipped with Vista on. Absolutely hated it and slowed workflow.

Now resorted back to XP!

Can't beat reliability/stability, no matter how good it looks.

Yeah! I know you are right and I also know what I have to do. Thanks

I have Vista, it's terrible!

So much slower than XP, it's really unresponsive at time aswel, applications crash daily on my PC.

I can't belive Microsoft released Vista in this state. I'd go back to XP if I haden't already paid for a licence for Vista. Plus it's such a hassle formatting.

Yeah! I know you are right and I also know what I have to do. Thanks

Have you considered a Mac? I run these primarily for the photo / printing side with some amazing RIP software. XP is fine as a machine goes as people can use them straight away. For serious work flow, honestly, consider a Mac!!
:naughty:

For those that are having issues with Vista, are you absolutely sure you're running the latest drivers for all the components in the machine? I've been running it since the day of release on a "Windows Vista Capable" Sony Vaio and have had no problems at all.

I may just be the lucky ONE though!

Only for CS3. Adobe's forum has responded by saying they are not going to invest in developing a patch for a discontinued software product - Great eh?
Why would they invest in something that won't make them money? It's the fundamentals of any successful business to avoid this kind of thing.

CS2 runs fine on Vista for me & I've also never had my laptop crash on me. I run XP 64bit on my desktop system and that's phenomenal! I had to upgrade to that version because otherwise XP Professional couldn't read the amount of RAM my computer had.

What version of Vista is it?

ive got vista and have just got the photography bug and bought a samsung gx1l to start with and cant run the camera software on vista so cant look at the raw images so i might have to buy a laptop and add xp to it instead i hate vista

ive got vista and have just got the photography bug and bought a samsung gx1l to start with and cant run the camera software on vista so cant look at the raw images so i might have to buy a laptop and add xp to it instead i hate vista

Sorry, but I don't see that being the fault of Vista or Microsoft. You need to get on to Samsung to have them provide drivers etc.

I have vista and have no complaints :) you could always install xp and duel boot it so you can choose if you want to use vista or xp when ever you like saves having to mess about removing vista and you will always have it on for when they finally stop supporting xp

Cheers

Rik

Sorry, but I don't see that being the fault of Vista or Microsoft. You need to get on to Samsung to have them provide drivers etc.

Good point there and often forgotten

For those experiencing difficulties with software remember there is "compatibility mode" to try

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/using-windows-vista-compatibility-mode/

Current listing of Microsoft approved "works with Vista" software
https://winqual.microsoft.com/member/softwarelogo/workswithlist.aspx

Microsoft Vista Upgrade Advisor/check.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/buyorupgrade/upgradeadvisor.mspx

(A newbie here but a I.T. consultant for many years + a happy Vista user)

i have vista on my compaq laptop and also run cs2 with no problems whatsoever
i find vista to be stable, and i am quite a techy so will really push it and try to make it do things i shouldnt
XP i have no issues with either, as suggested why not run both, dual boot vista and xp
as far as i am concerned cs2 'should' work, it obviously does for a few of us in this thread, what sort of issues do you get with it?

Erm, I have CS2 running perfectly on Vista.

What isn't working?

Okay, the bit in CS2 that doesn't work is being able to view RAW images. You can see the thumbnail with the image number underneath, but no actual photograph. Also, error messages come up to say a .dll file is missing and try reinstalling the software. I have uninstalled it now about 6 times and still the same. Adobe forum site is full of people with identical issues and Adobe's response was what I said above.

However, I am interested in what rikki1Q and others have suggested and load XP as well and dual boot.

I will have a word with my techi Bruv who has offered to look at it for me.

Thanks again guys. Useful and objective comments and I have always taken on board what you have suggested. Watch this space.(y)

which dll is missing? and can you find the file on your machine?
it may just need re-registering
there is aplug in you need to view RAW files, i have a nikon and founds cs2 only showed me raw files after i installed nikons nx capture - is that what its called?

which dll is missing? and can you find the file on your machine?
it may just need re-registering
there is aplug in you need to view RAW files, i have a nikon and founds cs2 only showed me raw files after i installed nikons nx capture - is that what its called?

Don't know how to Andyt, but I will try tonight. My Brother installed XP Pro on after partitioning the hard drive, but XP kept crashing. At the moment, I have both Vista & XP on but didn't have another hour to wait last night to re-load XP on again etc.

Thanks for the comment though

I got a new Dell PC a year ago with a free upgrade to Vista (when it came out). Thank Christ I never took it. I'm still on XP and will stay with it by all the bad accounts I'm hearing about Vista.:thumbsdown:

I recently bought a brand new Dell laptop and it has Vista, I must admit I'm not a fan either!! It is really slow, The other day I booted the machine up, went straight into "My computer" and after 20 seconds of thinking it came up with not responding, then 5 secs later it appeared. Very strange, maybe there's something wrong with the laptop?

I turned down a legit copy of Vista a week or so ago having heard and read so many poor reviews. The thing is, I have also read many good ones, but it's the bad ones that stick eh!

Sorry you're experiencing issues with your new laptop Gilly.

So get a Mac and run Vista, XP, MacOS, and/or Linux side-by-side on it, simultaneously. Drag & Drop from one to the other without cables, conversions or other machines.
Get one Mac, and get 2, 3, or 4 PC's 'free' in the same deal.
And simply keep using all your 'old' software on your new machine.

Thing is W. Smith - Gilly has only just purchased this new laptop so I doubt will be looking for a Mac just yet.

Thing is W. Smith - Gilly has only just purchased this new laptop so I doubt will be looking for a Mac just yet.

Thing is, MusicMan, that others reading this may think there is no alternative for Vista, 'give up' and settle for it (which is exactly what Micro$haft wants you to do!). While there are alternatives! And a lot better than Vista too.

This forum is not a one-on-one affair. Dozens of people read it. My post was for them. Not for Gilly, unfortunately. She's already got her new laptop, as you pointed out. With Vista installed. So she is 'beyond help' . . .
Downgrading to XP is her best option.

I agree... and just in case you weren't aware, am a fellow Mac user. Have another two coming this Christmas.:)

Gilly

This may not be the greatest workaround but it may help you. Download the latest version of adobe DNG converter. It's version 4.3 that's only just been released, and its FREE. Don't worry if you can only find ver 4.2 the update is simply for additional cameras.

Convert your RAW files to DNG's. CS2 should then be able to read them.

This link should take you to the correct location.

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=106&platform=Windows

Converting to DNG wont destroy your original RAW it'll make a copy of them as DNG's

It's a bit of a workaround but it'll help until you get Vista sorted.

Just another thought, do you know which dll it says is missing?

Don't know how to Andyt, but I will try tonight. My Brother installed XP Pro on after partitioning the hard drive, but XP kept crashing. At the moment, I have both Vista & XP on but didn't have another hour to wait last night to re-load XP on again etc.

Thanks for the comment though

sorry should have given a clue at least :)
i am assuming you have an error saying dll file . xxxx.dll not found or something similar..

so use windows to find that file, start --> search, and search for xxxx.dll
in the results there should be a column headed 'folder' make a note of this - possibly something like c:\program files\adobe\blah\blah'

click start, where it says 'start search' right at the bottom, type cmd and press enter.
this will open a command prompt (dos) window
type here regsvr32 followed by the folder name from above ending with \xxxx.dll

this will re-register the dll - watch out for any errors, if no errors try using cs2 again

I seem to remember all these same sort of problems when XP came out originally. I'd be surprised if Vista doesn't mature into a very good OS indeed. For now though, I'm with most folk, I'll stick to XP.

I was not to pleased with Vista when I had to buy a new machine in July this year, but it has grown on me. I run CS2 on it and it seems to work perfect. The only problem I have is every time I run CS2 it keeps asking me to register even though I have. I just click register later and away I go. Not had a problem reading RAW files. I do have Nikon Capture as well. And also noticed that this week windows media ( I Think) did an upgrade so you view RAW files the same as you would JPG files using windows media. (Hope that makes sense) I know not much help to you :( Sorry

I have a policy of not opting for a new OS until at least the first service pack has been released

Cynical I know but it has served me well in the past.

I remember the fiasco when SP2 came out... I put off the inevitable but surprisingly all went moderately smoothly with that particular update.

Not going anywhere near Vista though... oh no no no; am with you on this one Dod... will wait probably until I need to replace my Laptop and get a new PC/Laptop.

Oh Dear! oh Dear! what have I done? I took my lappy to my brother on Sunday and couldn't wait for him to fiddle with it any longer as I had to get back home. He hadn't finished the job, so I can't blame him really. He partitioned the 160gb hard drive and installed XP Pro on one side. It kept crashing, so I took it home and said it will have to do on Vista for now. Switched it on last night for the first time and it won't start up in either Vista or XP now. It says it is trying to repair and then re-starts and the cycle goes on. Any ideas guys? I am not stupid and can follow instructions if written down. My Bruv is away this week so I can't contact him. Arrgh

Bump for some help to the good lady :)

You getting a choice of OS to boot with Gilly? If not it might just be that the machines trying to boot a bad install of xp, hence the continuous repair.

If you can get into the bios change the boot priority to the partition which has vista, hopefully you'll be able to get it going again.

No expert though so hopefullly someone who knows can help more.

No problems with Vista on my machine (y)
Although I do have dual processors and 2GB of ram to run it :D

Sorry, Not much help to you Gilly B.
I would re-formatt hard drive and re-load to start afresh.

I can only advise you to cut your losses, and frustrations, with any of Microsoft's operating systems, and go for a Mac.

I'd been using Macs for many years and was persuaded, against my better judgement, to buy a pc. I've lived to regret it. I've spent a small fortune on new pc's, and software for them. Antivirus software is supposed to help remedy the problems, but I've grown very tired of being told that I'd done something wrong and the system was being shut down!!

Recently I said, "Enough!!!" I've bought myself the new IMac and already I'm feeling happy :love:

I rue the day for getting a windows based machine and now know all my troubles are over!!

:) Forget the argument about cost. It's not the issue. Downtime and frustration is far more expensive!

I'm going to admit that i've not read the thread, but I have the following comments

1) I like vista, I don't like the compatibility issues a lot of software has with it (partly why I'm still on XP, but also largely the price)

2) Vista is a HUGE resource hog. Many laptops can't run it. I subscribe to the VistaNews weekly mailing, and the editor makes reference to this in the latest (Nov 22nd) edition, available here.

3) Everyone bashed XP when it first came out.

I tried Vista for a shortwhile but reverted back to XP i will wait until all the bugs and the driver issues are solved before I reinstall vista on the other hand I liked the way it worked whist I had it :)

Re-formatted and re-loaded with XP. Ahhhh! works fine now. Ready for my shoot later today.

Back