My new "studio" and pics

Edit My Images
No
Hello all,
Well this is my first try at flash photography in any great detail, and i thought i woudl take the time, effort and money to do it properly (ish).

I ordered my Lencarta kit on Tuesday and it arrived Thursday (OK, minus the remote trigger, but one call to Garry and it is hopefully is arriving Saturday). :D
It is lovely kit, very sturdy and professional. I ordered the StarterKit plus an exta flash, stand and background and a shoot through brolly which will be with me in a couple of weeks.

I thought i would set it up in my lounge as at the moment the garage is far too cold and dirty.
My lounge is about 4m wide and with anough free space for 4 1/2m length.

studio-9.jpg

The background is hung from the ceiling. Until i can afford a support stand i have fed a £5 piece of wood through it and hung 4 x £1.49 clasps from the ceiling with ceiling hooks (£1.99) and the wood is held up by the clasps (not bad for £13).

studio-4.jpg

And then i got flashing. I have had about an hours play with it in total and here are my beginner results.
Please be gentle, i know my shots are obvious, but i want to get used to it all first before trying out new things.

Here is the missus :
studio-6.jpg

Here is the boy :
studio-11.jpg

Here is me and the missus (please dont tell her im showing you this, she wanted tot make herself up first, but i told her i didnt have time, she doesnt like this photo)
studio-7.jpg

Hope you like it, and if anyone wants any recomendations about Lencarta ..... then speak to Garry Edwards, but you can always ask me if you want a novice opinion. (y)

Looks like some nice kit there mate
Thinking of getting my own soon, its just finiding the space.

I know what you mean. i intended to use the garage and probably will in the summer, not now, but fortunately my lounge is JUST big enough to cope with all the kit.

I bought an Elinchrom D-Lite 2 kity and to be honest i thought that i would get away with using it in the lounge, but by the time those legs are spread out on the light stands and you are trying to position your subject at least 6ft from the backdrop the room soon started to shrink.

:nuts:

do you not know we are in a recession....:nuts:

nice kit mate..

i look forward to your shots in the portrait section(y)

md(y)

ps i like the white b/g although alot wont :LOL:

do you not know we are in a recession....:nuts:

Recession is actually good for me. The missus and i are in jobs that there is no chance of losing and everythig is getting cheaper, including the morgage, cars, we even got approved for a credit card this week with a massive limit at 0% so we can now save MORE. :eek:

Oh and about the white background .... i pretty much thought that, hence why i probably wont be posting in the portrait section as im not sure id get a fair critique on it. Its a bit too "venture" isnt it?

Recession is actually good for me. The missus and i are in jobs that there is no chance of losing

Oh and about the white background .... i pretty much thought that, hence why i probably wont be posting in the portrait section as im not sure id get a fair critique on it. Its a bit too "venture" isnt it?

glad about the jobs mate (y)

as for the venture bit (y) there will still be loads you can learn and hints and tips on pp...

so post away i for one will give you honest and " helpfull advice if possible"

md(y)

post away matey

glad about the jobs mate (y)

as for the venture bit (y) there will still be loads you can learn and hints and tips on pp...

so post away i for one will give you honest and " helpfull advice if possible"

md(y)

post away matey

Ta for that, one issue i do have is getting the skin tone colour correct, whether it be straight out of camera or in LR in either colour or mono. But i suppose i shall save that for another thread.
Im still trying to get the best out of my 40D (had a 1D and sold it due to reasons that are VERY long winded) and its harder to get the tones right with a 40D thatn it was with the 1D.

I bought an Elinchrom D-Lite 2 kity and to be honest i thought that i would get away with using it in the lounge, but by the time those legs are spread out on the light stands and you are trying to position your subject at least 6ft from the backdrop the room soon started to shrink.
If you avoid the white background shots (which I do at every opportunity) then you can do a great deal in a small space

Trying to light a white background is difficult - especially with one light.

The background is very bright in some areas and blotchy..... Using Ps should help.

It looks like there is some spill from the light on the right onto the left of the subjects.

the high key eyes don't really sit too well. The eyes should be much more open and inviting. Colour looks fine and a diffuse glow would create a nicer porcelain skin.

One big tip is use a light meter (if you have not used one). Meter your scene. Watch for spill and reflected light from te background - tough in small spaces and I have the same problem at times.

You can tell theres a huge improvement from the first shot.

The first is just too over exposed. Then the 2nd and 3rd are pretty much perfect from what I can see (y)

Good attempt

Back