My new studio

Name
Keith
Edit My Images
No
Finally taken the plunge and am about to move into a bigger studio... about twice the size of my last one! 1000 sq feet, decent ceiling height and well laid out with a separate workshop / prop storage area and separate kitchen / changing room. All I have to do now is take enough extra cash every month to pay for it! :eek:

It's a blank canvas at the moment so any fresh ideas for portrait sets would be very welcome! :)

ccbc-102s.jpg

ccbc-103s.jpg

That looks a nice BIG space.. .. I don't have suggestions for portrait sets but wish you the best in your new environment .. :)

That looks a nice BIG space.. .. I don't have suggestions for portrait sets but wish you the best in your new environment .. :)

Thanks matey! :) Exciting times... scary but exciting!

You could get lost in a space like that. Very envious indeed. Apart from that purple mind, that would drive me nuts.

I would be very interested in seeing this tread updated with developments as you go along. Lovely space.

If its on a lease, how long have you had to commit to? Someone local to me could not get the space they wanted until they agreed to a 5 year lease. I have never rented commercial property so I don't know if relatively long leases are common.

May I also ask what subjects you primarily shoot?

You could get lost in a space like that. Very envious indeed. Apart from that purple mind, that would drive me nuts.

Haha... you're right, the carpet is pretty bright! I'll be covering most of it with roll up 'wood effect' vinyl flooring though so shouldn't need sunglasses! :cool:

I would be very interested in seeing this tread updated with developments as you go along. Lovely space.

If its on a lease, how long have you had to commit to? Someone local to me could not get the space they wanted until they agreed to a 5 year lease. I have never rented commercial property so I don't know if relatively long leases are common.

May I also ask what subjects you primarily shoot?

I'll put up some more pics when it's starting to take shape... yes, I'm really pleased with the space, thanks!

No lease... it's an easy in/easy out agreement. Just a minimum of 6 months then 3 months notice at any time. Normally though you would expect to have to commit to at least a three year lease so it was a lucky find. All the units in the development are full and I just managed to grab this one when another business was downsizing.

I shoot a bit of a mix really... Mainly portrait & commercial, quite a lot of products, portraits... anyone who'll pay me basically! ;) First shoot on Monday so I'll have to be reasonably tidy for then... it's only a little puppy though so there's scope to build up from that! :D

I agree it's a lovely space and wish you all the best with it Keith.

Jay - you can get units on short leases, it really depends on the situation in your town, but generally across the country there are plenty of empty units that are losing the owners money every day. If you take a short lease don't expect many other deals, and they won't let you do much to the space unless it's written in that you will put it all back after.

Generally yes longer leases are common, I've always included break clauses in any properties I've rented out or rented from landlords. A break clause can work in various ways, but ultimately it's an easy way of saying "this isn't working". There is little point a landlord insisting a tenant stays if the place isn't making home any money, it's just going to go wrong. Some landlords don't care of course.

If you sign a longer lease with a break clause (say 5 or 6 years, possibly longer, with a break clause at end of year 2) you can do more haggling. The last property I rented I signed a 7 year lease with a break clause at the end of year 2, and I didn't have to pay any rent for the first 9 months as long as I fixed the leaking roof. The roof cost me £400 to fix, I saved 22.5k in rent.

If a unit has been sat empty for a long time (do your homework) you can haggle hard. If it's an industrial unit after 6 months sat empty the owner has to pay rates, if it's commercial and not industrial they only get 3 months off, so it's costing them rates, security costs, advertising costs if they are pushing it in the papers - they will want it gone. If they get an offer from an up and coming or established business they see pound signs, the ideal situation for any landlord is long leases secured on all their properties, not only do they have no outgoings (unless there's a commercial mortgage attached) but they have a good regular income and can see it going well into the future. Many will use that to secure the finance for their next purchases.

If you are negotiating and nervous of signing a lease of more than a couple of years then they will be worried you don't have he confidence in your business - I would be if you wanted to rent from me, and no way would you be getting a deal. Just make sure you ask for a break clause, it can be written so only you can activate it, they can't kick you out early at the break clause.

Keith - sorry to hog your thread. I hope it all goes really well. It would be great to see updates as you progress. Is your premises easily accessible to the public? On an industrial estate or off the high street?

Your whole reply is both interesting and very helpful. Thank you.

Most welcome, glad I can help. If you want a unit be very bold, you will be surprised how far some landlords will go. I've known some to let tenants have a unit for nothing to get rid of the rates liability, especially if it risked being vandalised if it sat empty. It's not common, but it absolutely does happen. Some towns will have a glut of empty property, obviously in a bustling area with premium property you don't get a deal, but elsewhere it's always worth trying your luck :)

Keith - sorry to hog your thread. I hope it all goes really well. It would be great to see updates as you progress. Is your premises easily accessible to the public? On an industrial estate or off the high street?

No worries... thanks for sharing your experience.

It's on a fairly smart commercial estate... lots of parking and nice enough not to be embarrassed when customers turn up!

Still a work in progress and getting the feel of the space but but it's up and running now with the first few shoots successfully completed! Need to develop the sets further and tidy up the workshop/prop room... but I'll get there! :)

studio1.jpg

studio2.jpg

studio3.jpg

studio4.jpg

Very nice indeed.

I would warn against covering that fire escape though, even with a 'just' a backdrop. Difficult, because a blank glass door means light pollution and inquisitive eyes, but you can't cover it and be insured.

Hmmmm. Maybe a blind per pane and sticky 'frost'????

Last edited:
Thats all looking very good. How are you handling advertising?

I don't advertise... but I network a lot. I've built up a strong retained client base through networking over the past few years, a cost effective way to get new business (if you do it properly) and I enjoy it too.

Very nice indeed.

I would warn against covering that fire escape though, even with a 'just' a backdrop. Difficult, because a blank glass door means light pollution and inquisitive eyes, but you can't cover it and be insured.

Hmmmm. Maybe a blind per pane and sticky 'frost'????

Yes, well spotted and a very good point... That was a temporary emergency fix! :)

And... Where did you buy those triangular stand things? Sorry, but I'm seeing some things in your pics that I could use lol

Great space and wishing you all the best for the future " Living the dream " good luck but it impressive to me !!

Where did you get your solid backdrops from? (the wood effect, etc.)

They are either wallpaper or printed backdrops from 'Photography Floors & Backdrops'. I paste them onto foamboard or Celotex boards (home insulation boards)... I've just tried the 50mm Celotex boards and they're perfect... light & rigid. The 50mm width makes them perfect to slip into the triangular stands too (see next post!).

They are either wallpaper or printed backdrops from 'Photography Floors & Backdrops'. I paste them onto foamboard or Celotex boards (home insulation boards)... I've just tried the 50mm Celotex boards and they're perfect... light & rigid. The 50mm width makes them perfect to slip into the triangular stands too (see next post!).
That's a good idea. What are you using to glue the backdrops onto the foil?

That's a good idea. What are you using to glue the backdrops onto the foil?
If it's porous (eg. wallpaper) then slightly diluted PVA applied with a roller seems to do the trick, sticks to the paper as well as the metallic surface of the Celotex.
For a vinyl backdrop I used a spray contact adhesive... otherwise, with a non-porous surface on both sides, it would have taken several years for the PVA to dry!! ;)

If it's porous (eg. wallpaper) then slightly diluted PVA applied with a roller seems to do the trick, sticks to the paper as well as the metallic surface of the Celotex.
For a vinyl backdrop I used a spray contact adhesive... otherwise, with a non-porous surface on both sides, it would have taken several years for the PVA to dry!! ;)
That's good to know. At the moment I'm using ply boards for backdrops but they're very heavy so I'm definitely on the lookout for alternatives.

Just put up a few initial test images in case anyone is interested in how these sets translate into finished images... as I say, it's still a work in progress and needs some refinement and experimentation, good to get some results though!

They're a bit NSFW so I've put them in a separate N&G thread: CLICK

Back